http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article1523124.ece

Musharraf urged to spare innocent Briton condemned by sharia court

By Stephen Castle in Brussels

Published: 13 September 2006

The Independent

Pakistan's President, Pervez Musharraf, came under pressure in Brussels
yesterday to intervene to prevent a British man being executed for a crime
which a secular court has acquitted him of. Challenged over the case in the
European Parliament, Mr Musharraf gave a non-committal reply, saying only
that he would "try to find some way of doing justice".
Mirza Tahir Hussain, 36, from Leeds, is due to be hanged on 1 October,
despite an investigation in which a Pakistani judge ruled that the police
had "fabricated evidence in a shameless manner". He has spent 18 years in
jail for the murder of a taxi driver who he says tries to sexually assault
him. When he resisted, the driver pulled a gun which went off in the scuffle
that followed, killing the driver. Investigations proved that the gun
belonged to the driver.
Although Pakistan's secular courts acquitted him 10 years ago, Mr Hussain
was found guilty by an Islamic sharia court, which imposed the death
sentence.
The president of the European Parliament, Josep Borrell, is among senior
politicians who have joined human rights groups in championing the case. He
has appealed for clemency, writing to Mr Musharraf that such an act "would
greatly improve the image of Pakistan in the world as a country which
upholds human rights".
But President Musharraf told the European Parliament's foreign affairs
committee: "I have to adhere to the legal norms of Pakistan. I am looking
into that and I cannot promise anything but let me assure you I will abide
by the legalities of Pakistan. I will try to find some way of doing
justice."
Amjad Hussain, the brother of the imprisoned man, said he was "dismayed that
President Musharraf was refusing to pardon him despite representations by
MPs, MEPs, human rights organisations, faith groups of all denominations,
President Borrell and Tony Blair".
President Musharraf has intervened twice already to grant Mr Hussain a stay
of execution just before previous scheduled dates for hanging. But he has
failed to use his powers to grant a pardon or commute the sentence.
Mr Hussain was born in Pakistan but his parents brought him to the UK as a
baby, where he took British citizenship. The death for which he was
convicted happened in 1988 while Mr Hussain, then aged 18, was visiting
relatives in Rawalpindi. Amjad Hussain said: "My legal advice is that the
conviction of my brother can by commuted by the President exercising his
powers under article 45 of the constitution.
"My brother has been in prison for 18 years. If remission is taken into
account he has served the equivalent of a 37-year sentence. It is agony and
torture. There seems to be no ending to the suffering of my brother and all
our lives are on hold."