http://www.startribune.com/587/story/670234.html

In Fifth District DFL race, Ellison outran opponents

The party's endorsed candidate captured 41 percent of the votes in the DFL
primary. Sabo's choice, Mike Erlandson, finished second.
Rochelle Olson <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> , Star Tribune
State Rep. Keith Ellison overcame setbacks and questions about his past to
win the DFL nomination to succeed U.S. Rep. Martin Sabo, placing him on the
verge of becoming the first Muslim elected to Congress.
Ellison's victory ended a hard-fought primary contest considered too close
to call even as the results began to come in Tuesday night. In the end, it
turned into a three-way contest and Ellison received more than 41 percent of
the vote, a stronger finish than observers forecast. He now faces opponents
from the Republican, Independence and Green parties.
The 43-year-old Detroit native is in position to become the first black
person elected to Congress from Minnesota. Ellison almost never talked about
race or religion during the campaign unless asked, but he referred to it
when he talked with supporters after the victory.
"We brought together all ages, all colors, all faiths," he said.
"Let's be honest, we faced some tough days, but we never got negative,"
Ellison continued. "And we proved that you can win an election by going
positive and staying positive. We know that negative campaigning has its
effects, but it doesn't enhance our humanity, it does not build bridges, it
builds walls."
Ellison is a two-term legislator from north Minneapolis who won the party
endorsement in May. Tuesday he beat back primary challenges from former
state DFL Chair Mike Erlandson, Sabo's longtime chief of staff and his
choice of successor, and former state Sen. Ember Reichgott Junge, who made
health care her central issue, and Minneapolis City Council Member Paul
Ostrow. Erlandson ran second with 31 percent of the vote; Reichgott Junge
ran third with 21 percent.
To make history, Ellison still must win in November, but the Fifth District
leans hard to the left. That makes him the favorite against Republican Alan
Fine, Independence candidate Tammy Lee and Green Party member Jay Pond in
November. Pond has challenged Sabo in the past with minimal success.
When Sabo announced his retirement on a snowy Saturday in March, the ranks
of DFLers seeking to succeed him swelled.
Ellison stunned the DFL Party convention crowd by winning swiftly. The
party's backing should have made him a strong favorite in the primary in a
district that includes Minneapolis and inner-ring suburbs.
But Ellison found himself facing questions about his ties to Nation of Islam
leader Louis Farrakhan in the 1990s, in part because of his work helping
organize the Million Man March. After he eased those concerns, he found
himself explaining his messy personal affairs -- dozens of unpaid parking
tickets, a driver's license suspension, unpaid federal income taxes and
campaign finance reports that didn't get filed.
Erlandson and Reichgott Junge hit the airwaves at the end of the campaign
with television and radio commercials. With the exception of one modest
radio commercial, Ellison focused on direct-mail efforts to primary voters
as well as his grass-roots get-out-the-vote effort and an army of
volunteers.
His success hinged on motivating "unlikely" primary voters, including peace
activists, gay and lesbian voters and minorities, especially Somalis.
Ellison also hails from the North Side, an area with the lowest voter
turnout in Minneapolis.
But he repeatedly said his campaign was about how "everyone counts, everyone
matters." He called himself the peace candidate, drawing subtle and overt
connections to the late Sen. Paul Wellstone, considered to be the master of
DFL grass-roots politics.
"I have the passion of Wellstone and the practicality of Sabo," Ellison told
delegates when he won the party's endorsement. A criminal defense lawyer by
profession and a voracious reader with a gift for speech, Ellison delivered
a rollicking acceptance speech at the endorsing convention that had many in
the room on their feet and recalling Wellstone's abilities.
Ellison's campaign T-shirts were Wellstone green and he sent a mailing to
voters featuring a large color picture of Ellison taken with the late
senator.
Former Vice President Walter F. Mondale backed Ellison as did influential
Wellstone friends, Sam and Sylvia Kaplan, who hosted a well-attended
fund-raiser for him. "He's come a long way. He's kept himself under control
while the attacks have been relentless," Sam Kaplan said from the Blue Nile
on Franklin Avenue where Ellison had his victory party.
Ellison and his wife, Kim, have four children. They moved to the Twin Cities
so he could attend the University of Minnesota's law school.
He was raised Catholic and comfortably middle-class, one of four sons. He
converted to Islam while at Wayne State University. In adherence to Muslim
law, Ellison doesn't drink alcohol or eat pork. His wife isn't a Muslim, but
the couple is raising their children in the faith. He attends the Masjid
An-Nur mosque led by North Side native, Makram El-Amin.
Reichgott Junge, who also lost a primary campaign for attorney general in
1998, said she's not done with public service. "I have absolutely no regrets
whatsoever. We ran a positive campaign. We ran a campaign with integrity,
honesty and passion and I believe that's a victory," she said.
Erlandson said he intends to dust off his résumé and help Sabo pack up his
office. "I am a former state DFL Party chair and I am sure I will be
supporting the DFL ticket from the top to the bottom," Erlandson said.
Sabo, who wasn't on a ballot for the first time since 1960, said he had no
regrets about the decision to announce his retirement in March rather than
earlier in the election cycle.
"I have no qualms about the timing of my announcement. I have no qualms
about the decision not to run again," he said.