More talk-talk.this will be an effective policy!

Bruce

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.html?p=washfile-english
<http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.html?p=washfile-english&y=2006&m=
September&x=20060912115921eaifas0.2161066>
&y=2006&m=September&x=20060912115921eaifas0.2161066

State's Hughes Calls for a United World To Condemn Terror

USA Today op-ed on the international response to terrorism
The following op-ed by U.S. Undersecretary of State Karen Hughes was
originally published in the September 12 edition of USA Today and is in the
public domain.  There are no republication restrictions.

Where's the Outrage?
By Karen Hughes
Five years after the Sept. 11 attacks, one essential ingredient is still
lacking in our international response to terrorism: the concerted moral
outrage of everyday citizens of every faith and country.
The names of the people murdered that morning read like a roll call of the
world's family: Ahmed, Alonso, Chung, Fazio, Fitzgerald, Goldstein,
Gonzalez, Jablonski, Mbaya, McSweeney, Mohammed, Rizzo, Wallendorf and
Zukelman. The victims, citizens of more than 90 countries, included a young
Muslim woman, seven months pregnant, on her way to attend a friend's
wedding; an Iranian grandmother who had overcome her fear of flying to visit
her grandsons in Boston; a German businessman in New York to attend a
meeting. His son, 4 at the time, said, "If the terrorists knew how much we
love Papa, they wouldn't have flown the plane into the tower."
Unfortunately, the extremists we face don't care.
Since that fateful day, hundreds of others have been torn from their
families, murdered as terrorists targeted morning commuters in London,
Madrid and India, wedding guests at a hotel in Jordan, children in school in
Russia and lining up for candy in Iraq, tourists in Egypt and Bali,
Indonesia.
Out of the norm
This is not right, or normal, or acceptable, and a much louder chorus of
voices needs to join in condemning it. Terrorism threatens all of us. It
targets the very foundations of a free society. Yet where are the mothers
organizing against terrorism as American mothers did against drunken
driving? Where are the fathers promising to teach their sons to choose to
live rather than choose to die? Where are the religious clerics and
congregations of all faiths arguing that no just and loving God would call
on young men and women to kill themselves and others in the name of
religion?
To be fair, many voices, Western and Eastern, Islamic and Christian, have
spoken out against the violence. Yet the criticism seems oddly muted.
Offensive cartoons sparked massive protests in nations across the Islamic
world. The international outcry was immediate when civilians were killed in
the recent conflict between Israel and Hezbollah.
Yet we have seen no similar mass condemnation of terrorist violence and
murder, and no hint of remorse from those engaged in these acts. As I have
traveled the world, I have met those who try to justify the violence based
on policy differences, long-held grievances or a perceived threat from the
West.
Those who speak of a clash of civilizations seem to forget that Islam is
part of America, that an estimated six to seven million Muslims live and
worship freely in America. America and our international partners went to
war to protect Muslims in the Balkans and gave generously to help Muslims
rebuild their lives after the tsunami in Indonesia and the earthquake in
Pakistan, just as many Muslim-majority countries reached out generously to
help Americans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
We do this because we believe in the dignity and value of every person. The
fifth anniversary of Sept. 11 is both a reminder of the inhumanity of the
extremists we are up against and the humanity shared by most citizens of the
world. The color of our skin, the language we speak and the way we worship
may be different, but much more unites us than divides us.
So why aren't more of us doing more to stop the terror?
First, I believe most of us hope that terrorism is an aberration.
Unfortunately, I do not believe it is true. Part of my job is to look at the
propaganda being spread on Internet sites and TV sets around the world. It
is chilling. Bombings are depicted as acts of glory. Children are being
taught the language of hate. Thousands of people have been trained in terror
training camps, convinced the only way to defend their faith is to kill all
others who have a different point of view.
Second, the presence of religion in this debate makes governments and
individuals nervous. We are unsure how to engage; we hesitate to offend. Yet
all major faiths -- including Christianity, Islam and Judaism -- teach that
life is precious. We cannot allow what is essentially a death cult to get
away with murder in the name of religion.
History's model
It is in the best interest of all the civilized people that the terror stop.
And we have a model. Slavery's path from international norm to pariah began
with moral outrage. In 1833, one of every seven adults in Britain signed a
petition against slavery. That was twice the number of people eligible to
vote at the time and the largest public petitioning of Parliament to that
date. The grassroots petition drive was born of the conviction that every
person has value -- a conviction that should guide us today.
Our challenge is to launch a new grassroots movement across all faiths and
continents, a movement that clearly states that no grievance, no complaint,
no matter how legitimate, can ever justify the targeting and killing of
innocent civilians. A movement that commits to teach our children that life
is precious, diversity should be celebrated, and hope can conquer hate.
I have read many stories of lives cut short by acts of terrorism. Almost all
the victims' families speak of the joy their loved ones brought to those
around them. They didn't deserve to die. And those who killed them earned
only shame, not glory. The least the rest of us can do is say so loudly and
in concert.
(Karen Hughes is under secretary for public diplomacy and public affairs at
the State Department.)

(Distributed by the Bureau of International Information Programs, U.S.
Department of State. Web site: http://usinfo.state.gov)