http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/ap_on_re_as/pope_muslims;_ylt=ApAPuFIE1Q
SDulk3GDIH5egUewgF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NTMzazIyBHNlYwMxNjk2

Pakistan's parliament condemns Pope
Fri Sep 15, 6:37 AM ET
Pakistan's parliament on Friday unanimously adopted a resolution condemning
Pope Benedict XVI for making what it called "derogatory" comments about
Islam, and seeking an apology from him for hurting the sentiments of
Muslims.
The resolution, moved by hardline lawmaker Fazal Karim, was supported by
both government and opposition lawmakers in the National Assembly or lower
house of parliament.
Chaudhry Ameer Hussain, speaker of the National Assembly, allowed Karim to
move the resolution after Karim said the pope had insulted Islam and the
Prophet Muhammad, and hurt the sentiments of the entire Muslim world by
making "derogatory remarks."
The measure was adopted a day after the Vatican sought to defuse criticism
of the pontiff's remarks, when he quoted from a book recounting a
conversation between 14th century Byzantine Christian Emperor Manuel
Paleologos II and an educated Persian on the truths of Christianity and
Islam.
"The emperor ... said, I quote, 'Show me just what Mohammed brought that was
new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his
command to spread by the sword the faith he preached,'" he quoted the
emperor as saying.
On Thursday, the Vatican said the pope had not intended to offend Muslim
sensibilities with the remarks.
But the Foreign Ministry in Islamabad termed the remarks "regrettable."
"Anyone who describes Islam as a religion as intolerant encourages
violence," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said.
"What he has done is that he has quoted very offensive remarks by some
emperor hundreds of years ago," Aslam said on Friday. "It is not helpful
(because) we have been trying to bridge the gap, calling for dialogue and
understanding between religions."
She said Muslims had a long history of tolerance, adding that when the
Catholic kingdom of Spain expelled its Jewish population in 1492 they were
welcomed by Muslim nations such as the Turkish Ottoman Empire.