http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/cgi-bin/newsviews.cgi/Old%20Europe/Farewel
l_to_a_Good_.html?seemore=y

Chronicles Online, Friday, September 15, 2006
Farewell to a Good European: Oriana Fallaci (1929 - 2006)
Srdja Trifkovic

Oriana Fallaci died on September 14 as an outstanding defender of our
culture and civilization against the onslaught of barbarity from without and
betrayal from within

Back in the 1960s Oriana Fallaci was a "brave," leftist, feminist hackette.
Her iconoclastic interviews were praised by the chattering classes for
bringing the genre to the heights of postmodernism-she was lauded for doing
to journalism what Susan Sontag was doing to fiction. But whereas the latter
progressed to become an apologist for jihad and died as a self-hating
degenerate, Fallaci's old age brought her wisdom and true grit. She died on
September 14 as an outstanding defender of our culture and civilization
against the onslaught of barbarity from without and betrayal from within.
For some 20 years starting in the early 1960s Fallaci was famous for her
political interviewers with the great and the mighty of that era, including
Deng Xiaoping and Henry Kissinger, who later wrote that his 1972 interview
with her was "the single most disastrous conversation I have ever had with
any member of the press." On his own admission, he had been flattered into
granting it by the company he'd be joining in Fallaci's "journalistic
pantheon," but realized too late that it was more like a collection of
scalps. Her manner of interviewing was deliberately unsettling: "she
approached each encounter with studied aggressiveness, made frequent nods to
European existentialism. and displayed a sinuous, crafty intelligence."
Fallaci's once-famous reportage has not aged well, and on the strength of it
alone her death would have attracted scant attention. But in the aftermath
of 9/11 she became a fierce critic of jihadism and an outspoken opponent of
Muslim immigration into Europe. Her book The Rage and the Pride-a
provocative extended essay initially published by Corriere della Sera-caused
a sensation. While countless bien-pensants and talking heads from her 1960s
and 70s milieu were prompted by 9/11 to explain to the masses the peaceful
and tolerant nature of "true Islam," Fallaci understood what was going on.
It is certainly not rock and roll music that the jihadist hates, she wrote,
not the usual stereotypes like chewing-gum, hamburgers, Broadway, or
Hollywood. Accustomed as the Westerners are to the double-cross, blinded as
they are by myopia, they'd better understand that a war of religion is in
progress:
A war that they call Jihad. Holy War. A war that might not seek to conquer
our territory, but that certainly seeks to conquer our souls. That seeks the
disappearance of our freedom and our civilization. That seeks to annihilate
our way of living and dying, our way of praying or not praying, our way of
eating and drinking and dressing and entertaining and informing ourselves.
You don't understand or don't want to understand that if we don't oppose
them, if we don't defend ourselves, if we don't fight, the Jihad will win.
And it will destroy the world that, for better or worse, we've managed to
build, to change, to improve, to render a little more intelligent, that is
to say, less bigoted-or even not bigoted at all. And with that it will
destroy our culture, our art, our science, our morals, our values, our
pleasures.
Fallaci had no qualms when it came to the comparison of what we have with
their culture, their art and their science, not to mention their morals,
values, and pleasures. She despised the evaders of the truth about our two
civilizations as weaklings, cowards or simple masochists:
It bothers me to even talk about "two of them," to put them on the same
plane as though they were two parallel realities of equal weight and equal
measure. Because behind our civilization we have Homer, Socrates, Plato,
Aristotle, Phydias, for God's sake. We have ancient Greece with its
Parthenon and its discovery of Democracy. We have ancient Rome with its
greatness, its laws, its concept of Law. Its sculptures, its literature, its
architecture. Its buildings, its amphitheaters, its aqueducts, its bridges
and its roads. We have a revolutionary, that Christ who died on the cross,
who taught us (too bad if we didn't learn it) the concept of love and of
justice.
Yes, I know-the old agnostic went on-there's also a Church that gave me the
Inquisition, the torture and the burning at the stake. But Fallaci, who was
granted an audience with Pope Benedict XVI last year, readily recognized the
contribution of Christianity to the history of European thought, "the
inspiration it gave to Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael, the music of
Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven, to Rossini and Donizetti and Verdi, and to
science that cures diseases, and has invented the train, the car, the
airplane, the spaceships, and changed the face of this planet with
electricity, the radio, the telephone."
She offered a resolute reply to "the fatal question" of what is behind the
Muslim culture: "We can search and search and find only Mohammed with his
Kuran and Averroe with his scholarly merits, his second-hand Commentaries on
Aristotle"-all quite worthy, but pretty second-rate stuff, really. Well,
yes, numbers and math; but even on that, Fallaci pointed out, there's far
less than meets the eye. Unlike the perpetrators of the myth of an Islamic
Golden Age, she realized that the Muslim Empire merely inherited the
knowledge and skills of the ancient Middle East, of Greece and of Persia,
and added to them a few innovations.
The learning curve of Oriana Fallaci on the issue of Islam may be traced
back to her famous October 1979 interview with Ayatollah Khomeini, soon
after the fall of the Shah, when she took off her chador in the middle of
the proceedings. His political and social views were hardly a revelation to
her, but his passing comments on the music of the West shook her deeply. The
old man declared dryly that it "dulls the mind, because it involves pleasure
and ecstasy, similar to drugs," instead of exalting the spirit as it should.
"Even the music of Bach, Beethoven, Verdi?"-Fallaci asked, to which Khomeini
curtly replied, "I do not know these names." He went on to allow for the
possibility that if Western music does not dull the mind, it would not be
prohibited: "Some of your music is permitted. For example, marches and hymns
for marching . . . Yes, your marches are permitted."
For once she was genuinely horrified. As she told the New Yorker earlier
this year, "I am known for a life spent in the struggle for freedom, and
freedom includes the freedom of religion. But the struggle for freedom does
not include the submission to a religion which, like the Muslim religion,
wants to annihilate other religions. Which wants to impose its Mein Kampf,
its Koran, on the whole planet. Which has done so for one thousand and four
hundred years. That is, since its birth. Which, unlike any other religion,
slaughters and decapitates or enslaves all those who live differently."
As an astute analyst of world affairs in her mature years. Fallaci knew that
the Islamic genie, released by the United States thanks to Dr. Zbigniew
Brzezinski's "excellent idea" to support Usama bin Laden and his ilk in
Afghanistan in 1979, came to haunt us all like a boomerang. She recalled the
footage of mujahideen attacking Soviet positions:
Do you remember those bearded men with the gowns and the turbans who, before
firing their mortars, shouted "Allah akbar! Allah akbar!" I remember them
very well. I used to shiver hearing the word "Allah" coupled with the shot
of a mortar. Well, the Russians left Afghanistan. and from Afghanistan the
bearded men. arrived in New York with the nineteen kamikaze.
But unlike her beloved New York, European cities would succumb, she feared,
because of the Muslim demographic onslaught on the Old World, an invasion
unparalleled in human history. This was a key theme of the best-selling
sequel to The Rage and the Pride which was published last year, The Force of
Reason was another frantic wake-up call. It made Fallaci the subject of
several "hate-crime" lawsuits in her native country, where a court in
Bergamo indicted her for 'defaming Islam.' In her final months, she was
gripped by deep pessimism, lamenting the decline of Europe which refuses to
confront the "reverse Crusade" by the "sons of Allah."
Europe is already "Eurabia," she declared last year, "a colony of Islam,
where the Islamic invasion does not proceed only in a physical sense, but
also in a mental and cultural sense." What actually occurred, she wrote four
years earlier, "was not an immigration, it was more of an invasion conducted
under an emblem of secrecy-a secrecy that's disturbing because it's not meek
and dolorous but arrogant and protected by the cynicism of politicians who
close an eye or maybe even both." The tolerance level was already surpassed
fifteen or twenty years ago, "when the Left let the Muslims disembark on our
coasts by the thousands." Servility to the invaders has poisoned democracy,
undermined the freedom of thought and the concept of liberty itself.
The tangible results are as devastating as the moral and spiritual ones. In
Venice the invaders have taken over Piazza San Marco. In Genoa the marvelous
palazzi that Rubens so admired "have been seized by them and are now
perishing like beautiful women who have been raped." In her native Florence,
a huge tent was put up next to the Cathedral to pressure the Italian
government to give them "the papers necessary to rove about Europe" and to
"let them bring the hordes of their relatives to Italy":
A tent situated next to the beautiful palazzo of the Archbishop on whose
sidewalk they kept the shoes or sandals that are lined up outside the
mosques in their countries. And along with the shoes or sandals, the empty
bottles of water they'd used to wash their feet before praying. A tent
placed in front of the cathedral with Brunelleschi's cupola and by the side
of the Baptistery with Ghibertils golden doors . . . Thanks to a tape
player, the uncouth wailing of a muezzin punctually exhorted the faithful,
deafened the infidels, and smothered the sound of the church bells . . . And
along with the yellow streaks of urine, the stench of the excrement that
blocked the door of San Salvatore al Vescovo: that exquisite Romanesque
church (year 1000) that stands at the rear of the Piazza del Duomo and that
the sons of Allah transformed into a shithouse.
Of course she prompted countless howls of rage from coast to coast and from
one side of the Atlantic to another, among the degenerates, cowards,
masochists, madmen, and villains. (Christopher Hitchens, who is all of the
above, has described Fallaci's work as "a sort of primer in how not to write
about Islam.") They can relax now, and write mean-spirited obituaries of
this "controversial author" who's been "harshly criticized" for "inciting
hatred against Islam." She will be sorely missed by those of us who know
what she knew, and who abhor what she abhorred.