http://www.judeosco <http://www.judeoscope.ca/breve.php3?id_breve=2604>
pe.ca/breve.php3?id_breve=2604

'We will blow up all of Gaza's churches'

The spiritual leader of Lebanon's Sunnis, the Grand Mufti Sheik Mohammed
Rashid Kabbani, said the pope's remarks emanated either from "Ignorance and
lack of knowledge or were deliberately intended to distort Islam."

Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi said "there should be no controversy;
the pope has already explained his true intentions. The religious dialogue
and the respect for every religion is a necessity, and religion doesn't
justify violence.

Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said of Benedict XVI: He is
a great pope, with great intelligence.

Right-wing politician Roberto Calderoli said "I ask myself some crazy member
of the Left will come forth and demand the pope's resignation. According to
the crazy people, he has offended the Muslim world. The holy father's
message is that of peace and dialogue."

Five churches throughout the West Bank were attacked by Palestinians
wielding guns and firebombs.

Firebombings left black scorch marks on the walls and windows of Nablus'
Anglican and Greek Orthodox churches. At least five firebombs hit the
Anglican church and its door was later set ablaze. Smoke billowed from the
church as firefighters put out the flames

In a phone call to The Associated Press, a group calling itself the "Lions
of Monotheism" claimed responsibility for those attacks, saying they were
carried out to protest the pope's remarks in a speech this week in Germany
linking Islam and violence.

Later Saturday, four masked gunmen doused the main doors of Nablus' Roman
and Greek Catholic churches with lighter fluid, then set them afire. They
also opened fire on the buildings, striking both with bullets.

In Gaza City, militants opened fire from a car at a Greek Orthodox church,
striking the facade. A policeman at the scene said he saw a Mitsubishi
escape with armed men inside. Explosive devices were set off at the same
Gaza church on Friday, causing minor damage.

On Friday night about 2,000 protesters gathered outside the Palestinian
parliament building to express their anger at the pope's statement. "This is
a new crusade against the Arab Islamic world. It comes in different forms,
in cartoons or lectures ... They hate our religion," Ismail Radwan, a local
Hamas official, told the rally.

During one rally gunmen in Gaza city opened fire at the Greek Orthodox
church; no injuries or damage were reported. An unknown organization named
"The sword of Islam claimed responsibility for the incident.

"We want to make it clear that if the pope does not appear on TV and
apologize for his comments, we will blow up all of Gaza's churches," the
group said in a statement.