http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/13171

Views on Bin Laden Capture Shift in U.S.
The opinions of Americans on Osama bin Laden have changed drastically since
the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, according to a poll
by TNS released by ABC News. 51 per cent of respondents think the war on
terrorism can be a success even if the al-Qaeda leader is not captured or
killed, up 21 points since November 2001.
Al-Qaeda operatives hijacked and crashed four airplanes in the U.S. on Sept.
11, 2001, killing nearly 3,000 people. In July 2004, the federal commission
that investigated the events of 9/11 concluded that "none of the measures
adopted by the U.S. government from 1998 to 2001 disturbed or even delayed
the progress of the al-Qaeda plot" and pointed out government failures of
"imagination, policy, capabilities, and management."
Bin Laden has not been seen publicly since the start of the war on terrorism
in October 2001, appearing only in several purportedly authentic video and
audiotapes. In January, Arabic television network Al-Jazeera broadcast an
audio message purportedly recorded by bin Laden, which includes the veiled
suggestion of a "truce" in the war on terrorism and warns of "new attacks to
come." Bin Laden later issued two new audio messages.
On Sept. 15, U.S. president George W. Bush discussed the search for bin
laden, saying, "There is a kind of an urban myth here in Washington about
how this administration hasn't stayed focused on Osama bin Laden. Forget it.
It's convenient throw-away lines when people say that. We have been on the
hunt, and we'll stay on the hunt until we bring him to justice, and we're
doing it in a smart fashion."
Polling Data
Do you think the United States has to capture or kill Osama bin Laden for
the war on terrorism to be a success, or do you think the war on terrorism
can be a success without Osama bin Laden being killed or captured?

Sept. 2006
Nov. 2001

Must capture, kill
45%
64%

Can be a success
51%
30%

Unsure
4%
6%
Source: TNS / ABC News
Methodology: Telephone interviews with 1,003 American adults, conducted from
Sept. 5 to Sept. 7, 2006. Margin of error is 3 per cent.