CAIR: U.S. MUSLIM GROUP URGES MORE DIALOGUE -  <mid://00001038/#AMERICAN
MUSLIM NEWS BRIEFS> TOP
United Press International, 9/18/06

<http://www.upi.com/SecurityTerrorism/view.php?StoryID=20060918-122957-2467r

http://www.upi.com/SecurityTerrorism/view.php?StoryID=20060918-122957-2467r

WASHINGTON, Sept. 18 (UPI) -- The U.S. Council on American-Islamic Relations
has called for a stepped-up dialogue between Muslims and Catholics.

The CAIR statement was issued Friday following the public controversy over
Pope Benedict XVI's remarks last week that were criticized by various Muslim
groups and activists as insulting to the Prophet Mohammed. The pope's
comments were followed by some attacks against Catholics around the world.
CAIR said it also wanted to arrange a meeting with the Vatican's
representative in Washington to discuss the pope's comments.

CAIR is a Washington-based Islamic civil rights and advocacy group. In its
statement Friday, it said, "The proper response to the Pope's inaccurate and
divisive remarks is for Muslims and Catholics worldwide to increase dialogue
and outreach efforts aimed at building better relations between Christianity
and Islam. This unfortunate episode also offers an opportunity for
Christians to learn more about Islam, the Prophet Mohammad and the Islamic
concept of jihad."

"Jihad is a central and broad Islamic concept that includes struggle against
evil inclinations within oneself, struggle to improve the quality of life in
society, struggle in the battlefield for self-defense . . . (having a
standing army for national defense), or fighting against tyranny or
oppression. 'Jihad' should not be translated as 'holy war,'" the CAIR
statement said.

"Muslims are also asked to maintain good relations with people of other
faiths, and to engage in constructive dialogue," the group said.

SEE ALSO:

WE CANNOT AFFORD TO MAINTAIN THESE ANCIENT PREJUDICES AGAINST ISLAM -
<mid://00001038/#AMERICAN MUSLIM NEWS BRIEFS> TOP
The Pope's remarks were dangerous, and will convince many more Muslims that
the west is incurably Islamophobic
Karen Armstrong, Guardian, 9/18/06
 <http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1874653,00.html>
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1874653,00.html

In the 12th century, Peter the Venerable, Abbot of Cluny, initiated a
dialogue with the Islamic world. "I approach you not with arms, but with
words," he wrote to the Muslims whom he imagined reading his book, "not with
force, but with reason, not with hatred, but with love." Yet his treatise
was entitled Summary of the Whole Heresy of the Diabolical Sect of the
Saracens and segued repeatedly into spluttering intransigence. Words failed
Peter when he contemplated the "bestial cruelty" of Islam, which, he
claimed, had established itself by the sword. Was Muhammad a true prophet?
"I shall be worse than a donkey if I agree," he expostulated, "worse than
cattle if I assent!"

Peter was writing at the time of the Crusades. Even when Christians were
trying to be fair, their entrenched loathing of Islam made it impossible for
them to approach it objectively. For Peter, Islam was so self-evidently evil
that it did not seem to occur to him that the Muslims he approached with
such "love" might be offended by his remarks. This medieval cast of mind is
still alive and well.

Last week, Pope Benedict XVI quoted, without qualification and with apparent
approval, the words of the 14th-century Byzantine emperor Manuel II: "Show
me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things
only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith
he preached." The Vatican seemed bemused by the Muslim outrage occasioned by
the Pope's words, claiming that the Holy Father had simply intended "to
cultivate an attitude of respect and dialogue toward the other religions and
cultures, and obviously also towards Islam".

But the Pope's good intentions seem far from obvious. Hatred of Islam is so
ubiquitous and so deeply rooted in western culture that it brings together
people who are usually at daggers drawn. Neither the Danish cartoonists, who
published the offensive caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad last February,
nor the Christian fundamentalists who have called him a paedophile and a
terrorist, would ordinarily make common cause with the Pope; yet on the
subject of Islam they are in full agreement.

Our Islamophobia dates back to the time of the Crusades, and is entwined
with our chronic anti-semitism. Some of the first Crusaders began their
journey to the Holy Land by massacring the Jewish communities along the
Rhine valley; the Crusaders ended their campaign in 1099 by slaughtering
some 30,000 Muslims and Jews in Jerusalem. It is always difficult to forgive
people we know we have wronged. Thenceforth Jews and Muslims became the
shadow-self of Christendom, the mirror image of everything that we hoped we
were not - or feared that we were.

The fearful fantasies created by Europeans at this time endured for
centuries and reveal a buried anxiety about Christian identity and
behaviour. When the popes called for a Crusade to the Holy Land, Christians
often persecuted the local Jewish communities: why march 3,000 miles to
Palestine to liberate the tomb of Christ, and leave unscathed the people who
had - or so the Crusaders mistakenly assumed - actually killed Jesus. Jews
were believed to kill little children and mix their blood with the leavened
bread of Passover: this "blood libel" regularly inspired pogroms in Europe,
and the image of the Jew as the child slayer laid bare an almost Oedipal
terror of the parent faith. (MORE)