US military tells Jack Bauer: Cut out the torture scenes ... or else!

By Andrew Buncombe in Washington

Published: 13 February 2007

The Independent

In the hugely popular television series 24, federal agent Jack Bauer always
gets his man, even if he has to play a little rough. Suffocating,
electrocuting or drugging a suspect are all in a day's work. As Bauer -
played by the Emmy Award winner Kiefer Sutherland - tells one baddie: " You
are going to tell me what I want to know - it's just a matter of how much
you want it to hurt."

But while 24 draws millions of viewers, it appears some people are becoming
a little squeamish. The US military has appealed to the producers of 24 to
tone down the torture scenes because of the impact they are having both on
troops in the field and America's reputation abroad. Forget about Abu
Ghraib, forget about Guantanamo Bay, forget even that the White House has
authorised interrogation techniques that some classify as torture, that
damned Jack Bauer is giving us a bad name.

The United States Military Academy at West Point yesterday confirmed that
Brigadier General Patrick Finnegan recently travelled to California to meet
producers of the show, broadcast on the Fox channel. He told them that
promoting illegal behaviour in the series - apparently hugely popular among
the US military - was having a damaging effect on young troops.

According to the New Yorker magazine, Gen Finnegan, who teaches a course on
the laws of war, said of the producers: "I'd like them to stop. They should
do a show where torture backfires... The kids see it and say, 'If torture is
wrong, what about 24'?

"The disturbing thing is that although torture may cause Jack Bauer some
angst, it is always the patriotic thing to do."

The meeting in November was arranged by Human Rights First, a non-profit
organisation that has launched a campaign against torture both in the real
world and on television. It says that since the terror attacks of September
11, the incidence of torture in television shows has soared. In 2000 there
were 42 scenes of torture on prime-time US television while in 2003 there
were 228.

The group's David Danzig said: "I think there is no question [it is having
an effect]. We have spoken to soldiers with experience in Iraq who say, for
young soldiers, there is a direct relationship between what they are doing
in their jobs and what they see on TV... It's the same abroad.

"The image of the US and its military [being involved in torture] is being
affirmed."

The show, first broadcast in November 2001, is produced by Joel Surnow,
whose California office reportedly contains a Stars and Stripes that once
flew over Baghdad. Mr Surnow boasts that both the military and the Bush
administration are fans of his series and insists that 24 is "patriotic".

But during the fourth series of the show, broadcaster Fox was forced to air
a series of public service announcements, following criticism about the
series' portrayal of Muslims by the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

In addition, while Mr Surnow may not have any qualms about 24, it appears
the show's main protagonist does. In a television interview last month,
Sutherland said: "You torture someone and they'll basically tell you exactly
what you want to hear, whether it's true or not, if you put someone in
enough pain... Within the context of our show, which is a fantastical show
to begin with, the torture is a dramatic device to show you how desperate a
situation is."

Others point out that coercive interrogation techniques that some argue
amount to torture, including the use of stress positions, military dogs and
sleep deprivation, have been authorised by the highest levels of the Bush
administration. Meanwhile, last year, when George Bush signed into law a
piece of legislation authored by Senator John McCain to prohibit the "cruel,
inhuman and degrading treatment" of prisoners, the White House issued a
so-called signing statement in which it insisted the ban could be ignored if
the President so authorised.

Wayne Smith, of the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC), an
international human rights group, said: "Even the FBI has confirmed
executive orders authorising the use of hoods and dogs and stress positions.

"If [these things] were being done to US troops we would call it torture."