http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=262922007


Tense Spain waits for justice


ELIZABETH CARR-ELLIS IN MADRID 

DRESSED in a black jacket and jeans, the young Moroccan leans back gently in
his chair. "No quiero contestar," the court hears. "I don't want to answer."


When Youssef Belhadj does answer, it is to deny everything. No, he did not
know any of the 28 men accused along with him. No, he had no links with
al-Qaeda. No, he was not involved in the worst act of Islamic terrorism seen
in Europe. 

Behind Belhadj sit his 28 co-accused, with 18 protected in a bulletproof
glass chamber and the rest, free on bail, in the main section of the
courtroom. 

Nearby are the friends and families of the 191 people killed when Islamic
fundamentalists attacked the Spanish capital of Madrid on March 11, 2004. 

Spain has waited three years for this trial - the largest of its kind ever
held in Europe - since a series of explosions rocked the capital and blew
the country apart. 

Outside the makeshift courtroom in Casa del Campo, in the north-west of the
city - chosen because the National Court, which usually handles terrorism
cases, was too small - security is at an all-time high. 

"You wouldn't believe how much surveillance there is that you can't see,"
said a court official. 

And it is not only in the capital. The government has increased its security
level and there are extra guards at all areas considered to be at risk:
shopping centres, airports, railway stations, power plants, even the
country's water supplies. 

Events in court are being broadcast live on TV and the internet. More than
600 witnesses will be called, with 100 expert witnesses also speaking, while
the evidence runs to 100,000 pages - all digitised and available at the
click of a mouse. 

The bombings started during punto hora (rush hour) that spring morning three
years ago. At just after 7am, four trains left the historic town of Alcalá
de Henares headed for Madrid, 19 miles away. The first explosion occurred at
7.37am, just as the train pulled into Atocha, the city's main railway
station. Seconds later, four bombs exploded on the second train, as it
pulled into the same station. By 7.39am, two more trains, one in El Pozo and
one in Santa Engracia, in the south of the city, had been similarly
attacked. 

In addition to the 191 killed, more than 1,800 people were wounded. It was
the worst terror attack in Europe since the Lockerbie bombing in 1988. 

At first, the government of José María Aznar tried to blame the attacks on
the Basque separatist group ETA. But within hours the focus was being drawn
towards Spain's involvement with the war in Iraq. 

Just three days later, Aznar was out of office, replaced in a general
election by the socialist government of José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, who
quickly followed through on his election pledge to bring Spanish troops home
from Iraq. 

Following a two-year investigation, Juan del Olmo, the examining magistrate,
attributed the attacks to an al-Qaeda-inspired cell known as the Moroccan
Islamic Combat Group (GICM). No link between the alleged attackers and Osama
bin Laden's terrorists has been found. 

The three men accused of masterminding the attacks - Rabei Osman Sayed
Ahmed, Hassan el Haski and Belhadj - have all denied any involvement with
the attacks. 

"I never had any relation to the events which occurred in Madrid," said
Sayed, on Thursday, while el Haski argued no true Muslim would condone such
events. 

All three men refused to answer questions from the prosecution, as is their
right under Spanish law, answering their own lawyers in Arabic. 

Six of the men are charged with 191 murders and 1,755 attempted murders, for
which prosecution lawyers have asked for sentences of just under 40,000
years, although the maximum penalty in Spain is 40 years. 

One man, a Spaniard believed to have supplied the explosives, is also
accused of one more murder - that of the policeman killed when seven key
suspects committed suicide in a raid on a flat in the Leganes area of the
capital three weeks after the attack. It was during this raid that Serhane
ben Abdelmajid Fakhet, the Tunisian believed to have been the bombers'
ringleader, died. 

The remaining suspects face charges including belonging to a terrorist group
and handling explosives. Lawyers have said they will deny the accusations. 

The only suspect to answer prosecutors' questions so far is Jamal Zougam,
the owner of a mobile phone shop in Madrid, said to be where the terrorists
bought the devices used in the attack. 

Moroccan-born Zougam, 33, who is accused of being one of the bombers,
refused to reply to questions about the discovery that seven of the sim
cards used in the attack came from his shop in the Lavapiés district of
Madrid, along with a card found intact in an unexploded bomb on the El Pozo
train. He would only say that he had no control over who bought the cards
that were sold in his shop. 

The accusation against him centres on the testimony of witnesses who claim
to have seen him on the El Pozo and Santa Engracia trains, including one who
says Zougam left a rucksack on the lower floor of one of the double-decker
trains. 

However, Zougam, who laughed out loud at some of the prosecutors' questions,
earning him a rebuke from the judge, denied the claim. "I was sleeping. If
I'm sleeping I couldn't go to Alcalá," he said. 

Earlier, Belhadj, 30, answering his counsel's questions, denied he was the
"hooded man" seen in a videotape discovered two days after the attacks
claiming responsibility in the name of al-Qaeda and claiming the bombings
had been in response to Spain's involvement in the war on terror. 

He added that family members who had linked him to bin Laden's terror group
did so out of intimidation by the police. "They were insulted and threatened
that they would be taken back to Morocco," he said. "If I were in their
shoes... I would have said things like that." 

Questioning also turned to the conspiracy theory of a link between Islamic
terrorists and ETA, a line angrily dismissed by el Haski. "How can I have
had contacts with ETA when I cannot even speak Spanish?" he asked. 

The hearings are expected to last until July, when the three judges - jury
trials are not held in Spanish terrorism cases - will retire to consider the
evidence. They are expected to deliver a verdict in October.



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



--------------------------
Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list, [EMAIL 
PROTECTED]
--------------------------
Brooks Isoldi, editor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.intellnet.org

  Post message: [email protected]
  Subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]


*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use has 
not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. OSINT, as a part of 
The Intelligence Network, is making it available without profit to OSINT 
YahooGroups members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the 
included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of 
intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, 
techniques, human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other 
intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes 
only. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material 
as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use 
this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' 
you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to