Blair warns Iran of "different phase"

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:24AM BST

By Paul Hughes

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Tony Blair warned Tehran on Tuesday of
a "different phase" if it did not free 15 British sailors captured four
days ago.

Iran says it may charge the 15 sailors and marines with illegally
entering its waters. Britain insists the two boatloads of sailors were
in Iraqi waters in the northern Gulf and has demanded their immediate
release.

"What we are trying to do ... is to pursue this through the diplomatic
channels and make the Iranian government understand these people have to
be released and that there is absolutely no justification whatever for
holding them," Blair said.

"And I hope we manage to get them to realise they have to release them.
If not, then this will move into a different phase," he told GMTV.

Asked what he meant by a "different phase", Blair said:

"Well, we will just have to see, but what they should understand is that
we cannot have a situation where our servicemen and women are seized
when actually they are in Iraqi waters under a U.N. mandate, patrolling
perfectly rightly and in accordance with that mandate, and then
effectively captured and taken to Iran."

The sailors' capture on Friday heightened tensions between Iran and the
West just a day before the U.N. Security Council imposed new sanctions
on Iran over its disputed atomic programme.

British officials have been assured that the sailors are well but have
not been given access to them or told where they are being held.

Britain is keen to continue its strategy of exerting diplomatic pressure
to get the sailors released, as long as there is still hope it will
work, as this leaves Iran a chance to back down without the situation
escalating further.

Iranian Vice Foreign Minister Mahdi Mostafavi said on Monday the Britons
were being interrogated to see if they had crossed into Iranian
territory deliberately or not.

Iran captured eight British servicemen in similar circumstances in 2004
and released them after three nights.

Asked whether he thought the latest capture was linked to the seizure of
five Iranians by U.S. forces from an Iranian consulate in northern Iraq
in January, Blair said:

"It should have absolutely no bearing at all, because any Iranian forces
who are inside Iraq are breaching the United Nations mandate and
undermining the democratically elected government of Iraq, so they have
got no cause to be there at all."

"In the end, it is a question really for the Iranian government as to
whether they want to abide by international law or not and I hope that
they do and we are working hard to try to persuade them that that is a
sensible thing to do," Blair said.

(Additional reporting by David Clarke)

<http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKL2744208420070327
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKL2744208420070327> >