The hydrogen peroxide bombs that link 21/7 terror plot to 7/7 suicide
bombers
By Duncan Gardham
Last Updated: 1:43am GMT 24/03/2007
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=ZRWMDRBFYJPMRQFIQMGSFF
OAVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2007/03/24/nterr24.xml

The leader of the July 21 bombers met the leaders of the July 7 bombers in
Pakistan to plan their attacks, it was claimed in evidence released
yesterday.

The trial of the second gang of alleged suicide bombers heard that Muktar
Ibrahim, the alleged "emir" of the group, was in Pakistan at the same time
as Mohammed Sidique Khan and Shezhad Tanweer.

A court order was lifted to allow the reporting of claims that Ibrahim had
met the other two men to learn how to make their homemade devices.

"Was it not the case that the plans to use suicide bombs was devised by you
and others in Pakistan?" asked Stephen Kamlish, QC, barrister for Manfo
Asiedu, one of the accused.

It was claimed that the hydrogen peroxide-based explosives that Ibrahim made
for the second attack on London's transport system had only been seen by the
British authorities on one other occasion - July 7. Recalling the evidence
of prosecution scientist Clifford Todd, Mr Kamlish said: "The only two
occasions on which the authorities in this country had ever come across an
improvised explosive device made from hydrogen peroxide and an organic
substance was the July 7 and July 21."

"Yes," Ibrahim replied.

Mr Kamlish went on: "There is a question mark whether or not the only two
ever-known bombs made from hydrogen peroxide are the 7/7 and 21/7 bombs and
you were in Pakistan at the same time [as Sidique Khan and Tanweer] - you
see the coincidence, don't you?"

Ibrahim replied: "When you say this fact, yes."

A hushed Woolwich Crown Court watched Ibrahim as he stood in front of a
screen, playing the three-and-a-half minute suicide video left by Sidique
Khan and the shorter video left by Tanweer.

Sidique Khan could be seen pointing with his pen and heard in his flat
Yorkshire vowels, saying: "Your democratically elected governments
continuously perpetuate atrocities against my people all over the world and
your support of them makes you directly responsible, just as I am directly
responsible for protecting and avenging my Muslim brothers and sisters.

"Until we feel security, you will be our targets. And until you stop the
bombing, gassing, imprisonment and torture of my people we will not stop
this fight."

Mr Kamlish asked: "How much of what was said would you agree with?"

"None of it," said Ibrahim.

The court heard that Asiedu had been sent to an internet café on the evening
before the attacks to set up a new internet account which Ibrahim then used
to send an email.

"A suicide video was made and an email sent that if it goes off, you can
publish the video." Mr Kamlish said.

"No," said Ibrahim.

Mr Kamlish said he had documentary evidence proving Ibrahim, and the 7/7
bombers Sidique Khan and Tanweer were all in Pakistan at the end of 2004 and
the beginning of 2005. The defendant insisted he had never met either man
and had learnt his explosive-making skills from a video downloaded from the
internet. He claims the devices were not supposed to go off.

Mr Kamlish accused Ibrahim of trying to get the other co-defendants to
switch legal representation to his solicitor to make sure they all told the
same story.

The court heard claims that Ibrahim's solicitor, Mudassar Arani, sent £600
to Asiedu while he was in custody in Belmarsh Prison. Mr Kamlish produced a
document which he claimed showed changes made to Asiedu's defence statement
to make Ibrahim's own case look better.

"Somebody connected to this solicitor has been trying to persuade my client
to change his case to suit Ibrahim's case," he said.

Ibrahim, 29, along with Asiedu, 33, Yassin Omar, 26, Ramzi Mohammed, 25,
Hussain Osman, 28, and Adel Yahya, 24, all from London, deny conspiracy to
murder and cause explosions.

The trial continues.