Cousin of 7/7 leader: I'm not the fifth bomber

Suspected of involvement in the London tube attacks, Imran Motala talks of
his seven days in police cells

Ian Cobain

Saturday May 19, 2007

The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondon/story/0,,2083416,00.html

A relative of Mohammad Sidique Khan has described how police suspect him of
being a so-called "fifth bomber" who lost his nerve shortly before the July
7 suicide attacks.

In the first interview to be given by a member of Sidique Khan's family,
Imran Motala described how police repeatedly accused him of being the fifth
man whose rucksack bomb was later found in the boot of a car abandoned by
the gang.

Mr Motala denies having anything to do with the attacks, and was released
without charge last week after being kept under covert surveillance for a
year, then arrested and questioned for seven days.

He accepts that police were right to question him after telephone records
showed that he had a series of conversations with Sidique Khan in the weeks
before the attacks, but is puzzled that this was not done earlier. "If I had
been the 'fifth bomber', I could have set off an explosion in August 2005,"
he says.

Mr Motala is a trained artist, an enthusiastic break dancer, and he likes a
drink. When detectives from Scotland Yard's counter-terrorism command came
to arrest him, shortly after dawn, they found him in his girlfriend's room
at a University of Birmingham halls of residence.

"But the police told me they thought my western lifestyle was just a cover,"
he says. "Once I was at Paddington Green police station, they said: 'It's
all there in the training manual for jihad.'"

Mr Motala, 22, was arrested 10 days ago on suspicion of "commissioning,
preparing or instigating acts of terrorism", along with his cousin Hasina
Patel, the widow of Mohammad Sidique Khan, leader of the July 7 suicide
bombers, and her brother Arshad. All three were released without charge
after seven days. Another man remains in custody.

Mr Motala insists that his only real crime is that Sidique Khan married into
his family. The police and the security service see matters very
differently. At Paddington Green in west London it was repeatedly put to him
that he not only aided the bombers but that he was destined to have been one
himself.

"They didn't just think I had with-held information about the bombings, they
thought I was involved, that I was to have been the fifth bomber," he said.
"They asked me: 'Are you the fifth bomber? Were you meant to be the fifth
bomber? Did you bottle out in the end?'"

Mr Motala says police also suspect he was the unidentified male who bought
the rucksacks which contained the bombs from a Millets store in Leeds six
days before the bombings.

While in custody he learned that he had been under surveillance for a year:
he and members of his family had been followed, all of his previous
employers had been interviewed, and he strongly suspects that his family
home in the Lozells area of Birmingham was bugged when West Midlands police
raided the property last year, ostensibly looking for firearms. Despite the
lengthy surveillance operation, no evidence was found that would justify
charges against him.

Samples

After being arrested, cautioned and handcuffed, Mr Motala was driven to
Paddington Green. Inside the police station officers took a hair sample and
footprints, and a swab from inside his cheek. The fingerprinting process was
so detailed that it took about two hours. He did not ask for a solicitor on
the first day because, he says, "I thought I was going to be leaving the
same day".

He was questioned about his contacts with Sidique Khan, and in particular
about a flurry of telephone contacts early in May 2005. He told detectives
that most of the conversations were about a trip he was planning to
Dewsbury, where Sidique Khan lived, after another cousin living there gave
birth. While there, he said, he went out night-clubbing, stayed out all
night, and Sidique Khan rang his mobile telephone repeatedly to enquire
after him.

The detectives also asked him about the 7/7 attacks. "I said it was a
cowardly act, that it did nobody any good, that it ruined many people's
lives. I said that my way of fighting against the Iraq war was to join the
march which was held in London. Suddenly there were a million and one
questions about the war and why I opposed it." He says he was also
repeatedly asked whether he went jogging or went to gyms, and whether he
used to exercise with Sidique Khan. "They wanted to know if I was training
for jihad. But I don't go to gyms."

He was taken to a small, windowless cell, empty but for a concrete bed,
plastic mattress, bedding and a steel lavatory bolted to the wall. The
showers, he says, were always freezing and exercise was allowed in a small
courtyard, entirely enclosed, always handcuffed and watched by four guards.
Before long Mr Motala was being given sleeping pills each night, and
examined by a doctor each morning before the police interviews began.

He first discovered that his two cousins had also been arrested on the
second day of their detention when all three were taken into a room, lined
with police, which was linked by video to a magistrates court. The police
applied successfully for permission to hold all three for up to seven days.
None of the cousins exchanged a word.

Mr Motala says he was shown an eight- or nine-page transcript of a bugged
conversation between Sidique Khan and Omar Khyam, the leader of a gang
plotting a series of fertiliser bomb attacks, who was jailed for life last
month. The pair were talking about a young man who was "being tested" but
who wasn't yet ready to wage violent jihad. The detectives put it to him
that he was the young man. "I think that would be inconceivable," he says.

When he was released last Tuesday, Mr Motala discovered his family's home
had been raided at the time he was arrested. While his parents, brother and
a sister were being driven by police to a hotel, other officers were looking
under floorboards, removing photographs, documents, electrical equipment and
even two Hoovers. His father, Salem, says the house "doesn't feel the same
any more - doesn't feel like home".

"It is legitimate to ask me questions about Mohammad Sidique Khan," he says.
"I can see why they would want to talk to me about telephone contacts,
that's fair enough. But a whole year's worth of surveillance has found
nothing, and then they brought me in like that. All they had was telephone
traffic with a relative. It makes no sense. And why wait so long to talk to
me?"

Meanwhile, he says his experience has pushed him closer to Islam. "Praying
is all I could do in my cell. I did it to kill time. And I was asking God to
get me out."