Lebanese troops battle militants

Last Updated: Sunday, 20 May 2007, 11:55 GMT 12:55 UK

Fatah al-Islam fighters in Nahr el-Bared (file photo)

Fatah al-Islam militants have been accused of links to al-Qaeda

Eleven Lebanese soldiers have been killed in clashes with al-Qaeda-linked
militants around a Palestinian refugee camp in Tripoli, officials say.

Fighting erupted after security forces raided homes in nearby Tripoli to
arrest suspects in a bank robbery.

Militants said to belong to the Fatah Islam group then attacked army posts
at the Nahr el-Bared refugee camp.

Four militants were killed in the clashes and there are reports of injured
civilians inside the camp.

Hours after violence erupted, Syria temporarily closed two border crossings
with northern Lebanon because of security concerns.

Camp under scrutiny

Lebanon is home to more than 350,000 Palestinian refugees, many of whom who
fled their homes when Israel was created in 1948.

The problem began with repeated arrests of our brothers in Tripoli. We've
always defended Sunnis in Lebanon

Abu Salim
Fatah Islam spokesman

The Nahr el-Bared camp has been under scrutiny since two bus bombings in a
Christian area of Beirut in February, which were blamed on Fatah Islam
militants based in the camp.

Some 30,000 displaced Palestinians live at the camp, which the military is
banned from entering under a 38-year-old deal.

Fighting began early on Sunday after a police raid on a Tripoli house
apparently being used by militants from Fatah Islam.

The Islamist group is alleged to have links with al-Qaeda and Lebanese
officials also believe it has ties to Syrian intelligence.

Map

The men reportedly resisted arrest and the violence spread to neighbouring
streets.

Militants then attacked a Lebanese military post at the gate of the camp,
seizing several vehicles.

The military sent replacements, which returned fire at alleged Fatah Islam
positions.

The Lebanese army said that it was now trying to retake positions seized by
the militants.

There was more fighting at a house in a nearby residential district, where
militants were said to have holed up.

A Fatah Islam spokesman, Abu Salim, told Al-Jazeera television that the
group was only defending itself.

"The problem began with repeated arrests of our brothers in Tripoli. We've
always defended Sunnis in Lebanon," he said.

"This was only the latest incident, but it led to a fierce clash and we went
to defend them."

Residents said that at least 12 civilians were injured inside the camp, the
Associated Press news agency said, and a Lebanese army spokesman said that
another 19 soldiers were injured.

The BBC's Jim Muir reports from Beirut that some link the eruption in
violence to moves at the UN Security Council to set up an international
tribunal to try suspects in the assassination of the former Prime Minister,
Rafik Hariri, two years ago.

Syria is against the tribunal, and some Lebanese government sources have
accused Damascus of trying to stir up trouble to head it off.