US mosque where Fort Dix terror plot suspects prayed defends teachings

The Associated Press

Friday, May 18, 2007

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/18/america/NA-GEN-US-Fort-Dix-Plot-Mo
sque.php

PALMYRA, New Jersey: Authorities maintain that at least five of the six men
charged in the Fort Dix terror plot planned to kill in the name of God. But
the mosque where they worshipped says it only taught them about peace.

The Islamic Center of South Jersey, and many other Muslim institutions in
the state, are trying to convince people that their religious teachings did
not play a role in an alleged plot to massacre U.S. soldiers at Fort Dix.

The mosque has planned a meeting Friday evening for political, law
enforcement and community leaders to ask questions about Islam.

Three of the six men charged - Dritan "Anthony" Duka, 28, and his brothers
Shain, 26, and Eljvir, 23 - worshipped at the mosque regularly. Eljvir
Duka's brother-in-law, 22-year-old Mohamad Ibrahim Shnewer, also prayed at
the Palmyra mosque occasionally.

The three Duka brothers, Shnewer, and Serdar Tatar face life in prison if
they are convicted of conspiring to kill military personnel; the sixth man,
Agron Abdullahu, faces a weapons charge.

Ismail Badat, the chairman of the board of trustees for the mosque,
maintains that if the young men were talking up extremist views, they were
not doing it at the Islamic Center.

"The mosques follow the true meaning of Islam, which is the Quran," Badat
said. "We have no other ideology in the mosques. When they have that, that's
when the trouble starts."

Palmyra Mayor John Gural said he would attend.

"I just want to be assured that the people who attend services at the mosque
- that there are no more people at the mosque like the people who were
arrested," he said.

It is a message that many in New Jersey are trying to convey as the terror
plot case spawns further recriminations against Muslims.

The New Jersey chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations held a
news conference Friday morning to publicize the case of a Muslim woman from
Passaic County who was on

her way to do laundry last weekend in Little Falls when a male motorist
stuck in traffic started screaming anti-Muslim slurs at her.

"We believe this incident may have been precipitated by the alleged Fort Dix
plot," said Afsheen Shamsi, a spokeswoman for the group. "We hope our fellow
citizens won't equate Islam with terrorism based on the actions of the
defendants."

She also called on federal authorities to open a civil rights investigation
of the incident.

At the Islamic Center, the 65-year-old Badat considers his life as a Muslim
far removed from the extremism that some of the members of his mosque have
been accused of.

"We all know that Islam means peace," Badat said.