http://www.buffalonews.com/180/story/80573.html

14 killed, 31 injured as bomber targets U.S. convoy in Afghanistan

GARDEZ, Afghanistan - A suicide bomber apparently targeting a U.S. convoy
killed 14 people and wounded 31 Sunday in a crowded eastern Afghan market,
witnesses and officials said.

The powerful explosion in the city of Gardez damaged about 30 shops,
shattering windows and destroying the closest stores.

Witnesses said a U.S. convoy appeared to be the target. Maj. William
Mitchell, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance
Force, said initial reports said NATO soldiers had been injured, though he
didn't have further details.

Nasar Ahmad, a 30-year-old shopkeeper whose three cousins were seriously
wounded in the blast, said he saw a U.S. convoy driving through the city
just before the explosion.

"I heard a strong blast and then saw a fireball go up," Ahmad said in his
hospital bed. "For 10 minutes, I couldn't hear, and I didn't know where I
was. I saw a lot of people injured lying in the street."

Shah Mohammad, 19, said all those killed or wounded by the blast were Afghan
civilians.

"The convoy had already passed when the attack happened," he said.

A day earlier, a suicide bomber in northern Afghanistan had killed three
German soldiers and seven civilians.

Ghulam Hazrat Majedi, the doctor in charge of the Gardez hospital, said two
of the wounded were in critical condition.

In the eastern province of Ghazni, 30 Taliban fighters were killed Saturday
during a battle between coalition and Afghan forces, said Mohammad Qazam
Allayar, the deputy provincial governor. He said 18 Taliban were injured and
11 arrested.

Violence in Afghanistan has increased sharply in the last several weeks.
More than 1,600 people have been killed in insurgency- related violence this
year, according to an AP count based on reports from U.S., NATO and Afghan
officials. The dead have mostly been militants, but about 300 civilians also
have been killed.

A coalition statement said that, in recent days, Afghan and coalition
operations "have resulted in the removal of over 100 enemy fighters." The
coalition's press office said it wasn't immediately clear what the word
"removal" meant.

The statement said local Afghans are increasingly cooperative.

"The people have said, 'Enough to the bloodshed and intimidation,' and are
reporting criminals and insurgents. They are also closing off their lands
and villages to them," said Maj. Donald Korpi, a spokesman with the unit
involved in the Ghazni battles.