Dirt begins to fly at Obama

War opens with hints about 'suspect' backers

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/art
icle3177684.ece

WHEN Hillary Clinton warned that Barack Obama had not been thoroughly
"vetted", as she has been, she was hinting darkly at trouble to come over
her rival's radical pastor and shady patron in Chicago, the Illinois
senator's home town.

Clinton is convinced that her opponent will be eviscerated by the Republican
attack machine should he win the Democratic presidential nomination. That,
at any rate, is her camp's excuse for doing everything it can to discredit
him behind the scenes. The battle to tear down Obama and his claim to
represent "hope" has begun.

His momentous victory in Iowa and his humbling in New Hampshire have
launched a war of attrition between the two camps.

At enormous rallies, Obama's new slogan, "Yes, we can", is rekindling the
fervour of his supporters in defiance of Clinton's accusation that he
peddles false hopes.

The same determined message was whispered by slaves and abolitionists and
was proclaimed by Martin Luther King, who "took us to a mountaintop", Obama
said to cheers in the formerly segregated city of Charleston, South
Carolina, last week.

There, in a boost for his campaign, Obama was introduced by John Kerry, the
2004 Democratic presidential candidate. Kerry vowed that Democrats would
never again allow themselves to be "swiftboated", a reference to the Vietnam
war veterans who impugned his war record. But for Obama it has already
begun.

"Swiftboating" has become a metaphor for attacking a candidate's strengths
head-on, instead of their weaknesses. In Obama's case, it means calling into
question his multilayered racial and religious background and his reputation
for scrupulous integrity. The smear that Obama is secretly a Muslim, or too
close for comfort to that religion, has already taken hold among some
voters.

"We have to peel back his identity," said one elderly white voter in South
Carolina, a state Obama must win on January 26. "Did you know his middle
name is Hussein? He is a Muslim and was raised in an Islamic school."

In fact, Obama was not brought up to follow any religion, although his
African grandfather and Indonesian stepfather were Muslim. He became a
Christian as a community organiser in Chicago and in the late 1980s joined
the Trinity United Church of Christ, an African-American mega-church with an
8,000-strong congregation.

The same southern voter, who did not wish to be named, then threw another
piece of Obama's biography into the frame. "I looked at his church's
website. It said it was 'unashamedly black'. They don't want any whites
there. I wouldn't feel real comfortable if I tried to worship there."

The unorthodox pastor of Trinity church is the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, who
is refusing all interviews. He married Barack and Michelle Obama and
baptised their two daughters. He is already attracting attention on
right-wing websites for describing the September 11 attacks as a "wake-up
call" to America for ignoring the concerns of "people of colour", and for
claiming that Americans "believe in white supremacy and black inferiority .
. . more than we believe in God".

Wright travelled to meet Muammar Gadaffi, the Libyan leader, in the 1980s
with Louis Farrakhan, the black supremacist leader of the Nation of Islam,
and subscribes to the "Black Values System", which preaches self-reliance
but claims "middle-classness" is ensnaring blacks.

"When [Obama's] enemies find out that in 1984 I went to Tripoli to visit
Colonel Gadaffi with Farrakhan, a lot of his Jewish support will dry up
quicker than a snowball in hell," Wright once said.

The other potential threat to Obama comes from the indictment of one of his
leading donors, Antoin "Tony" Rezko, a Syrian-born property developer in
Chicago, who is accused of extortion.

Rezko has been indicted by Patrick Fitzgerald - the prosecutor who brought
down the White House official Lewis "Scooter" Libby and the press magnate
Conrad Black - for seeking millions of dollars in kickbacks from companies
bidding for state business in Illinois. He is due to appear in court on
February 24.

On the day the Obamas bought a new home in Chicago for $1.6m in 2005,
Rezko's wife purchased an adjoining piece of land, giving the senator's
family more privacy and a larger expanse of green than they had paid for.
Obama later paid $104,000 for a strip of the land, even though it was known
that Rezko was under investigation.

Obama has admitted that the deal was "bone-headed" and has given $37,000 of
political donations by Rezko to charity.

The website www.hillaryis44.com <http://www.hillaryis44.com/> , widely
viewed as an unofficial arm of the Clinton war room, has taken up the
scandal with gusto and is offering a Rezko for Dummies guide on its site.
"Imagine this," it crows. "A Chicago politician wants things he can't
afford. Wifey likes expensive things and wants a big mansion to live in."

Whether Wright's sayings or Rezko's indictment can seriously damage Obama's
appeal to primary voters remains to be seen. Clinton has been through so
many ethical scandals and has been attacked so many times by what she called
a "vast right-wing conspiracy" that Obama's controversial connections may
appear inconsequential.

If the polls are to be believed, Obama is leading Clinton in South Carolina
by 13 points. But their findings in New Hampshire were so hopelessly flawed
that Obama's supporters will not make the mistake of savouring victory in
advance of the voters' verdict again.

Bill and Hillary Clinton have worked hard to retain the affection and
loyalty of black southerners. However, the former president's suggestions
that Obama is not all he is cracked up to be have caused some offence.
Carrie Dennison, a retired union organiser in Charleston, said: "I have
nothing against Bill Clinton. I went to his inauguration, but I don't like
what he's been saying about Barack Obama. It's underhand.

"Hillary Clinton thinks she is more experienced, but she's had 35 years of
what? All I know about her is that she was the wife of the president."

Kenneth Richardson, 63, an African-American who works in the insurance
industry, believes that Obama has the "divine spark" of greatness, while
Clinton is more pedestrian. He doubts, however, that this alone can deliver
victory.

In a remarkable book, A Bound Man: Why We Are Excited about Obama and Why He
Can't Win, Shelby Steele, a conservative intellectual who like Obama had a
white mother and black father, writes that Obama's iconic status as an
inspirational African-American also represents his biggest weakness.

Steele argues that Obama offers white voters a chance to free themselves
from white guilt, but if he becomes too specific about policy or shows
flashes of anger about injustice, they recoil. Obama looks "messianic" set
against "the shame of America's racial past".

If you are an icon, he writes, "you have thoughts to touch everyone's base,
thoughts that recognise and flatter everyone. But you have few visible
convictions".

Anything that helps Clinton to bring Obama down to earth serves her purpose.

Kenya's wonderboy:

They are thousands of miles away, but Barack Obama has no more loyal
supporters than his humble Kenyan family, writes Jon Swain in Nairobi.

In the village of Kogelo, Obama is known as the "Kenyan wonderboy in the
US". Though he was narrowly defeated by Hillary Clinton in the New Hampshire
primary, his grandmother Sarah Obama, 85, is still hopeful. "Don't lose
heart. Keep on trying, is what I will tell him if I speak to him," she said.

Obama's father was a goatherd who won a scholarship to university in Hawaii.
There he met Obama's mother. He deserted the family when Obama was two and
returned to Kenya but died in a car crash in 1982.

Obama has visited Kogelo several times. In 2006 he gave a powerful speech
warning Kenyan university students of the dangers of corruption and tribal
politics.

(F)AIR USE NOTICE: All original content and/or articles and graphics in this
message are copyrighted, unless specifically noted otherwise. All rights to
these copyrighted items are reserved. Articles and graphics have been placed
within for educational and discussion purposes only, in compliance with
"Fair Use" criteria established in Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976.
The principle of "Fair Use" was established as law by Section 107 of The
Copyright Act of 1976. "Fair Use" legally eliminates the need to obtain
permission or pay royalties for the use of previously copyrighted materials
if the purposes of display include "criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching, scholarship, and research." Section 107 establishes four criteria
for determining whether the use of a work in any particular case qualifies
as a "fair use". A work used does not necessarily have to satisfy all four
criteria to qualify as an instance of "fair use". Rather, "fair use" is
determined by the overall extent to which the cited work does or does not
substantially satisfy the criteria in their totality. If you wish to use
copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner. For more information go to:

THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. COPYING AND DISSEMINATION IS
PROHIBITED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS.