Iraq war veteran thrown off train after ticket row as conductor tells
him: 'It's not as if you've taken a bullet'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1044469/Iraq-war-veteran-thrown-train-ticket-row-conductor-tells-Its-youve-taken-bullet.html

A soldier returning from Iraq in full combat uniform was thrown off a
train after a ticket inspector demanded proof he was eligible for an
Armed Forces discount.

Rifleman Zachary Hoyland, 19, had been unable to pick up his Services
railcard from barracks and was told the cheaper ticket he had been
bought was not valid without it.

But the official refused to show any leniency, instead telling him: 'I
don't know what you are complaining about.

'It's not as if you've taken a bullet or anything.'

With the help of a friendly passenger, Rifleman Hoyland had already
managed to find the extra £50.50 he needed to pay the full fare.

But he was understandably outraged by the 'bullet' remark and swore at
the ticket inspector  -  who, to the disbelief of other passengers,
ordered him off the train at the next station.

After a gruelling three-day journey from the Iraqi front line, Rifleman
Hoyland was forced to disembark at Chesterfield and had to wait for
another train to take him the final ten miles to his home in Sheffield.

The soldier, who was wearing body armour and carrying his helmet and
Army backpack at the time, yesterday admitted he had lost his temper.

But he insisted he did not physically harm the ticket inspector, who he
accused of 'not liking squaddies'.

'People on the train were looking at him and couldn't believe what he
was doing, and after I got off a bloke came over who had been on the
train and said it was disgraceful,' he said.

'I admit I was kicking off, but I couldn't believe he said that.

'Luckily none of my mates out there were killed, but for all he knew my
best friend could have died. He doesn't know anything and had no right
to say something like that.'

He added: 'I was nearly home when the ticket was checked and he said I
had to pay £50.50 extra.

'I wasn't happy, but in the end I offered to pay the difference between
a discounted and a normal ticket.

'With the help of a girl on the train, I scraped together the money, but
when he made that "taking a bullet" comment it really wound me up.

'It had been a long three days from Iraq and I was one stop from home. I
said a few things that I shouldn't have.

'He told me to get off the train. I didn't want any trouble, I just
wanted to get home so I got off and used the ticket to get on the next
train.'

Rifleman Hoyland had been serving in Um Quasar in Iraq with 1st
Battalion, The Rifles, guarding a naval port, escorting troops and
carrying out search and patrol operations.

After flying back from Iraq, he had been unable to pick up his
possessions at the barracks in Chepstow because it was closed.

The soldier said he was issued with the discounted ticket at Chepstow
Station without a problem.

'I was in full deserts because I had no civilian clothes with me, so
obviously I was coming home from duty,' he added.

His mother Samantha Wood, 40, said her son had volunteered to go to Iraq
and is heading for Afghanistan in October.

'The whole episode is absolutely disgusting,' she added.

'He has been in Iraq fighting and serving his country. He is not asking
for any recognition for anything.

'People were clapping and cheering him when they saw his uniform.'

A spokesman for Cross Country Trains said the company takes allegations
of verbal assault on its staff very seriously.

He added: 'There will be no discounts available without an Armed Forces
railcard. We will investigate this if the gentleman concerned wishes to
contact us directly.'

Discrimination against troops in uniform led to Gordon Brown requesting
an investigating into public attitudes towards the Armed Forces.

The result was a proposal for a criminal offence outlawing
discrimination against servicemen and women wearing their uniform in public.

In previous cases, troops returning from Afghanistan were told to change
into civilian clothes before landing at Birmingham Airport, while in
Peterborough RAF personnel were banned from wearing uniform in town
because of the verbal abuse they received.

------------------------------------

--------------------------
Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list, [EMAIL 
PROTECTED]
--------------------------
Brooks Isoldi, editor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.intellnet.org

  Post message: [email protected]
  Subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]


*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use has 
not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. OSINT, as a part of 
The Intelligence Network, is making it available without profit to OSINT 
YahooGroups members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the 
included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of 
intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, 
techniques, human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other 
intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes 
only. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material 
as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use 
this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' 
you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtmlYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to