http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=42575
<http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=42575>
Confessions of Al-Qaeda killer

Hitman for           the terror network recalls his murderous spree at
the height           of Iraq's           sectarian violence.



Middle East           Online

By Ali Mohammed - Iraq


Subhi Abdullah, in his own words, is           a killer. He has been
held in Diyala police headquarters in           the provincial          
capital Baquba for more than two years on charges of murder          
and terrorism. Abdullah           has been officially linked to hundreds
of killings and the           investigation into           his dark past
is still ongoing.

As a self-confessed assassin for           al-Qaeda during the worst of
the sectarian bloodshed,           Abdullah, whose name has          
been changed, has spoken of at times murdering ten people a          
week. He says his           transformation from a neighbourhood labourer
to a hired gun           came as a result of           a desire for
revenge, blackmail and the prospect of earning           lots of money.

Abdullah's chilling story sheds           light on the grim underbelly
of sectarian killing that reached           its height from          
2006 to 2008 in Iraq's           restive western governorates. If he was
ever set free,           Abdullah believes he           would face the
same fate as his victims.

"My life before I was a killer           was about making money to feed
my children. It was the same           after I began           working
with al-Qaeda. It has always been about feeding my           children,"
Abdullah said. "But now, I know I was wrong."

Abdullah was born to a poor Shia           family in a rural district of
Diyala province, married young           and had four          
children. Abdullah appears unusually calm as he recalls his          
past although his           eyes often betray deep emotion, even pain.

"At the beginning of 2007, my           brother was killed after
being kidnapped in one of the Shia           districts [of          
Diyala]. I was determined to take revenge. I didn't have a          
weapon, so I joined           the al-Qaeda group in my neighbourhood
because they promised           to help me get my           revenge,"
Abdullah said.

A few days later, according to           Abdullah, operatives came to
his house with information on his           brother's           killer.
The insurgents hold on Abdullah was about to begin.

"They asked me if I want to           kill the man myself, and, of
course, I said yes right away.           They gave me a gun,          
and drove me to one of the residential areas where security is          
weak. Then, they           pointed out a man sitting in front of shop
wearing a black           dishdasha (a long           robe). They said
he was the man responsible for kidnapping and           killing my
brother. They asked me to kill him and they would provide          
backup,"           Abdullah said.

Abdullah said he did as they asked,           shooting the man dead.
After the killing, he said he was           driven away by the          
al-Qaeda agents and taken to meet their ringleader who, in          
turn, thanked           Abdullah for his courage.

"I have learned that revenge           like this should be done
[legally]. I was wrong, but at the           time I saw that the
government could not protect its own citizens," he said,          
recounting the           murder.

Abdullah's life was forever changed           by the revenge
killing. A few weeks later, the same al-Qaeda           operatives
arrived           at his home, offering money to help them kill American
and           Iraqi soldiers and           officials. He said he soon
found he had little choice.

Before he had made a decision, it           was revealed by the al-Qaeda
leader that his first killing had           been recorded on          
video by the other gunman at the scene.

"I was aware, of course, that           the video tape would be used
against me in case I refused. I           had also closed my          
shop at the time and I was in bad need of money to support my          
family and my           late brother's family. I gave my consent, and
started working           with them," he           said.

It is here that Abdullah's life           began to be dominated by
al-Qaeda and its constant call for           the murder of          
security officials and Sunni supporters of the central          
government. At the           beginning, Abdullah said he was earning
100,000 to 150,000           Iraqi dinar (85 to           128 US
dollars) for each killing. When there were no murder           targets,
he went           along with al-Qaeda insurgent gangs on kidnappings and
bombings.

"I used to kill no less than           ten people per week, but then
after about six months the           terrorists began to           force
me to work with them while they cut their [bounties]. As           the
security           situation continued to deteriorate, I started to kill
people I           didn't even know           for 10,000 dinar. I
started to look for those I should kill to           get the money
for my family and my brother's family," he said.

But the tables soon turned on           Abdullah. When the United
States-backed Sahwa, or Awakening           Councils, emerged          
to combat al-Qaeda in the western provinces he found he had a          
price on his           head. Finally, he was captured in a raid by Iraqi
forces and           Sahwa fighters in           an insurgent hideout in
Diyala in 2008.

Since that day, Abdullah has been           held on murder and terrorism
charges, although he has never           stood trial. An          
official with the court, who declined to be named, said          
Abdullah has been proved           to be behind hundreds of killings and
the number could be           higher as new facts           emerge from
current investigations.

"I'm a criminal, but I am           concerned about the future of my
children and my brother's           family. They live in          
danger because of me. If the families of those I have killed          
recognise me, I'm           afraid they will take revenge on my children
instead of me.           But I want to stay           in prison rather
than be set free. I know I will be killed           outside. Prison is
much better than death," he said.

Ali Mohammed is an IWPR <http://iwpr.net/> -trained journalist.


  <http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=42575>

















[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

--------------------------
Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list, 
[email protected].
--------------------------
Brooks Isoldi, editor
[email protected]

http://www.intellnet.org

  Post message: [email protected]
  Subscribe:    [email protected]
  Unsubscribe:  [email protected]


*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use has 
not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. OSINT, as a part of 
The Intelligence Network, is making it available without profit to OSINT 
YahooGroups members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the 
included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of 
intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, 
techniques, human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other 
intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes 
only. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material 
as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use 
this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' 
you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtmlYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to