Libya war reaching stalemate: U.S. general

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110407/wl_nm/us_libya;_ylt=AlZUItcBR342xJb8wWCw
nJZvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTI5MTdlZTc0BGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTEwNDA3L3VzX2xpYnlhBGNwb3MDMQ
Rwb3MDMQRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNsaWJ5YXdhcnJlYWM- By Michael Georgy
Michael Georgy - 13 mins ago

AJDABIYAH, Libya (Reuters) - Libya's civil war is reaching stalemate, a
senior U.S. general said on Thursday, and rebels fighting to overthrow
Muammar Gaddafi said a NATO air strike killed five of their fighters.

Wounded rebels being brought to a hospital in Ajdabiyah in rebel-held east
Libya said they were hit by a NATO strike on their trucks and tanks outside
the contested port of Brega.

NATO said it was investigating an attack by its aircraft on a tank column in
the area on Thursday.

General Carter Ham, head of U.S. Africa command, told a Senate hearing
Washington should not provide arms to the rebels without a better idea of
who they were.

Asked if there was an emerging stalemate, he replied: "I would agree with
that at present, on the ground."

Medical workers carried blood-soaked uniforms from hospital rooms in
Ajdabiyah, gateway to the insurgent stronghold of Benghazi in the east,
after wounded fighters were ferried back from Brega.

"It was a NATO air strike on us. We were near our vehicles near Brega,"
wounded fighter Younes Jumaa said from a stretcher at the hospital.

Nurse Mohamed Ali said at least five rebels were dead.

Rebel fighters were weeping on their knees in the corridor.

"NATO are liars. They are siding with Gaddafi," said Salem Mislat, one of
the rebels.

It was the second time in less than a week that rebels had blamed NATO for
bombing their comrades by mistake. Thirteen were killed in an air strike not
far from the same spot on Saturday.

A doctor who had been at the front among rebel ambulance crews said they
were hit by a government rocket attack immediately after the air strike. One
medical worker was killed.

The rebels have been fighting to seize control of Brega from forces loyal to
Gaddafi for a week in a see-saw battle along the Mediterranean coast.

Rebel spokesmen told Reuters Gaddafi forces killed five people and wounded
25 in an artillery bombardment of the isolated and besieged western city of
Misrata on Wednesday.

The barrage forced the temporary closure of Misrata's port, a vital lifeline
for supplies to besieged civilians, the spokesmen said. They added that NATO
air strikes hit pro-Gaddafi positions around Misrata.

Misrata, Libya's third city, rose up with other towns against Gaddafi in
mid-February and has been under siege for weeks, after a violent crackdown
put an end to most protests elsewhere in the west of the country.

A rebel spokesman told Reuters people in Misrata were crammed five families
to a house in the few safe districts to escape a rain of mortar shells from
Gaddafi forces which have subjected them to weeks of sniper and artillery
fire.

OIL PRODUCTION PLUNGES 

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed concern about deteriorating
conditions for civilians in Misrata and Zintan in the west, and Brega in the
east. 

He said the situation in Misrata was particularly grave and called for an
end to attacks on civilians. 

The civil war has cut Libyan oil output by 80 percent, a senior government
official said on Thursday, as rebels and Gaddafi's forces traded charges
over who had attacked oil fields vital to both sides. 

Rebels say government attacks on three different installations in the east
have halted production of the oil they need to finance the eight-week-old
uprising against Gaddafi. 

The government's Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim told reporters the
British air force had damaged an oil pipeline in a strike against the Sarir
oilfield which killed three guards. 

NATO denied the alliance carried out any air strikes in the Sarir area and
said forces loyal to Gaddafi were responsible for an attack which started a
fire in the oilfield. It said Gaddafi was trying to disrupt oil supplies to
the rebel-held port of Tobruk. 

Shokri Ghanem, chairman of the government National Oil Corporation, told
Reuters on Thursday the country's production had fallen to 250,000 to
300,000 barrels per day compared with 1.6 million before the uprising. 

He called a reported shipment of Libyan oil by the rebels "very sad" and
said it would only contribute to tension and divide the country. 

The Liberian-registered tanker Equator sailed from the port of Marsa
el-Hariga, near Tobruk, on Wednesday, apparently with the first cargo of
crude sold by rebels since their uprising began in February. Oil traders
said the cargo, vital to fund the uprising, was headed for China. 

WESTERN BOUNDARY 

There was confusion on Thursday about the fighting near Brega, but one rebel
fighter said government rockets had hit the town's western boundary. 

Al Jazeera television said Gaddafi's forces were advancing on the town from
the coast and the desert and rebels were trying to reinforce its western
approaches. This could not immediately be confirmed. 

Other insurgents said a 130-strong rebel force was about 25 km (15 miles)
east of Brega, which has been fought over for a week with neither side able
to make major gains. 

A senior U.S. Treasury official said Washington had frozen more than $34
billion of Libyan assets as part of sanctions against Gaddafi and his top
officials. European governments had also frozen a substantial amount he
said. 

Gaddafi appealed for a halt in the air campaign in a rambling three-page
letter to U.S. President Barack Obama bluntly dismissed by Secretary of
State Hillary Clinton on Wednesday. 

"Mr. Gaddafi knows what he must do," Clinton told a news conference with
Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini, reiterating calls for a ceasefire,
the withdrawal of his forces from cities they have stormed and his departure
from Libya. 

Civil war in the vast North African desert oil producer ignited in February
when Gaddafi tried to crush pro-democracy rallies against his 41-year-old
rule inspired by uprisings that have toppled or endangered other rulers
across the Arab world. 

A senior aid worker said on Thursday desperate refugees from North Africa
had dragged each other under water and drowned when an overloaded migrant
boat sank off Sicily. Up to 250 people wre still missing from the capsized
boat, which was said to have left Libya on Monday. 

(Additional reporting by Alex Dziadosz in Benghazi, Mariam Karouny in
Beirut, Hamid Ould Ahmed and Christian Lowe in Algiers and Marie-Louise
Gumuchian in Tunis, Phil Stewart and David Lawder in Washington, Justina
Pawlak in Brussels; Writing by Barry Moody; Editing by Andrew Dobbie)

 



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

--------------------------
Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list, 
[email protected].
--------------------------
Brooks Isoldi, editor
[email protected]

http://www.intellnet.org

  Post message: [email protected]
  Subscribe:    [email protected]
  Unsubscribe:  [email protected]


*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use has 
not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. OSINT, as a part of 
The Intelligence Network, is making it available without profit to OSINT 
YahooGroups members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the 
included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of 
intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, 
techniques, human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other 
intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes 
only. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material 
as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use 
this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' 
you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtmlYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to