http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13010170

 

8 April 2011 Last updated at 09:50 ET 


Libya: Nato 'regrets' loss of life from Ajdabiya strike


Nato has said it "strongly regret[s] the loss of life" after a "friendly
fire" attack on rebel tanks in eastern Libya which left at least four dead.

Earlier, a Nato commander had refused to apologise, saying that until
Thursday's strike, the alliance had not been aware the rebels had tanks.

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said "mistakes do happen", but Nato
should be ready to say sorry for the deaths. 

Rebel forces reacted with anger at the attack on their tanks near Ajdabiya.

However, rebel commanders stressed it would not damage relations with the
allied force.

'Fluid situation' 

On Friday, Mr Rasmussen described the situation on the ground as "fluid",
saying: "We have seen in the past that tanks have been used by the Gaddafi
regime to attack civilians."

He went on: "This is also the reason why our aircraft target military
equipment that could be used to attack civilians, but I can assure you that
we do our utmost to avoid civilian casualties."

Earlier on Friday, Rear Adm Harding said: "I'm not apologising."

Advertisement
<http://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/questions/bbc_online/adverts_general> 

Nato's Rear Admiral Russell Harding: "Until yesterday we had no information
that the rebels were using tanks"

He said government tanks known to have previously targeted civilians in the
western city of Misrata had been on the road on Thursday. At that point,
Nato did not know that rebel troops had begun to bring out their tanks.

"Up until yesterday, we had no information that the... opposition forces
were using tanks," he told reporters in Naples, near the Nato base which is
co-ordinating the Libya operation. 

Mr Hague told the BBC: "I think we should say that it is deeply regrettable
and I think when something like this happens, it doesn't cost anything to
apologise.

"So I think we should apologise where there is error. If people are killed
who are not attacking civilians, then it is a mistake."

Explanation call 

The rebels hit in Thursday's air strike had been moving a group of tanks,
armoured vehicles and rocket launchers near the front line between the towns
of Ajdabiya and Brega in more than 30 transporters.

One rebel commander told the BBC he had seen at least four missiles land
among rebel fighters.

Rebels said four fighters died, while local doctors told the BBC at least 13
had been killed in the strike. Many more were injured.

The BBC's Wyre Davies in Ajdabiya said there was considerable anger among
rebel troops about the incident. They were asking why rebel units were hit,
when they could be seen clearly advancing in a westerly direction towards
the front line.

Rear Adm Harding's comments about the incident contradicted what rebel
commander Gen Abdelfatah Yunis told the BBC on Thursday evening.

He said Nato had been informed that the rebels' tanks would be on the road,
and had even been given the necessary co-ordinates. He also said Nato had
apologised to the rebels about the incident, although not directly to him.

Gen Yunis called on Nato to give a "rational and convincing explanation"
about what had happened, but stressed the incident would not lead to
tensions with the allied force.

This is the third such incident since Nato took over air operations from a
US, French and British coalition a week ago.

Last Friday, at least 13 people were reportedly killed when a coalition
plane fired on a rebel convoy between Brega and Ajdabiya. In a separate
incident, seven civilians died and 25 were hurt in a coalition air strike on
a pro-Gaddafi convoy near Brega.

Children hit 

Rear Adm Harding also refused to back the view of US General Carter Ham -
who led the first stage of the coalition air campaign in Libya - that the
conflict appeared to have reached a stalemate with rebel forces unlikely to
oust Col Gaddafi's troops.

"If someone wants to define that as a stalemate that's fine, all I'm saying
is that yes, it's fluid, but it's fluid in a relatively small area," he
said.

Meanwhile, pro-Gaddafi troops are reported to be advancing into the eastern
districts of Libya's third biggest city, Misrata, triggering street battles
with rebels.

The UN children's agency, Unicef, said it had "reliable and consistent
reports" that snipers had hit children in the city.

Misrata has been under attack by Libyan government forces for several weeks,
and Libyan rebels had complained it would "cease to exist" within a week
unless Nato took action to save it.

A ship chartered by the UN World Food Programme has delivered hundreds of
tonnes of high-energy biscuits, flour, and water purification tablets, as
well as enough medicine to last 30,000 people for a month.

 



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

--------------------------
Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list, 
[email protected].
--------------------------
Brooks Isoldi, editor
[email protected]

http://www.intellnet.org

  Post message: [email protected]
  Subscribe:    [email protected]
  Unsubscribe:  [email protected]


*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use has 
not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. OSINT, as a part of 
The Intelligence Network, is making it available without profit to OSINT 
YahooGroups members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the 
included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of 
intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, 
techniques, human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other 
intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes 
only. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material 
as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use 
this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' 
you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtmlYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to