In a message dated 4/28/2000 4:37:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
rnor...@digital.net writes:

<< I too am Certified Federal Workforce Mediator (trained by the Atlanta
 Justice Center).  Have you ever thought about Open Space being a form of
 mediation.  I believe a good mediator in essence Opens Space and then holds
 it for the party's to reach their own mutual agreements.  Possibilities?

Rich,

Absolutely.  In fact, we use OST along with the "7 Elements" conflict
resolution process (Roger Fisher, "Getting To Yes").  OST is an ideal process
to use in mediation.  The reason we also use Roger Fisher training is that it
is important that labor-management participants understand interests as
opposed to positions, and how to empathetically listen.  We spend more time
on the first two elements of Communications and Relationships, which is were
we find about 80% of the problems.  Thank you for your comment.

Dave Koehler