Dear Karl,

I was wondering about humans loving repeating patterns.
My observation is that children do insist on repeating patterns.
When I read to my kids and now to my grandkids from books that they are familiar with, I often alter a sentence or add one. Without exception they notice and exclaim "Nein, Opa, das steht da nicht!"

With adults I wonder about us "loving" repeating patterns. I am thinking of such stuff as the patterns of holidays or the agenda in the church worship or the way the table is set for a birthday or the kind of food served on special occasions (thanksgiving...). Of course, these are repeating patterns. And a deviance can split families...

To me it seems to be the kinds of patterns (ritual, agendas, cultural stuff,...) that give us "security" "belonging" "identity" but also keep us in our "bubbles".

So, looking at the emotional responses of myself I find them, the responses, completely out of logic, especially looking at the tenacity defending them.

In my context here in Berlin with many refugees populating neighborhoods a very occasional appearance of a burka gets folks ferociously upset. Its like an attack on our bubble. (there are millions of muslims living in Germany but fewer than 1000 wear a burka, the kind that covers everything except the eyes).

So my take on this is that children do love patterns and us adults need them to feel secure in our bubbles.

Just this minute two of the refugee girls that have adopted our house and garden for their School after school activities are demonstrating how easy it is for them to step out of their bubble in that they adapt themselves to a really foreign new environment.

Lets watch the kids.

Greetings from Berlin on a sunny Dezember day thinking of the mans birthday and surely getting into the pattern of having a martini cocktail with definitely only a tinge of martini in the drink

mmp