Dear Jeff,

of course.

First, let me point out, that this os event was not "one of your neighborhood os". I was hired as the facilitator and had no stakes in this particular neighborhood.

The title for the event was
"Projektschmiede für den Helmholtzplatz" which translates roughly into
"Forging Projekts for the Helmholtzplatz"
an inner city neighborhood of about 18 000 with the Helmholtz square in the center of it.
Here is the link to the City of Berlin website that gives more detail.
https://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/wohnen/quartiersmanagement/de/helmholtz/index.shtml

One aspect of the text there translates into

"Through various forms of citizen participation such as open space, future workshops and thematic working groups, communication could be established, networks strengthened, and the main areas of action for district development jointly developed."

And here is some detail to the event itself listed in a data base of about 800 ost events
https://openspaceworldscape.org/events/95-projektschmieden-fuer-das-gebiet-helmholtzplatz

Ok, here is the memory of that event of 20 years ago that immediately came to my mind when I read your email:

After the sponsor had opened the os event and I had introduced into the process, folks rushed to the center to jot down their issues and projects in planning.
One participant announced his project with:

"I want all the money that has been assigned to the projects for my project because it is the most important project for our neighborhood" and continued to outline what he had in mind. I have forgotten what it was all about. (The city wanted to fund projects that a jury of citizens would select).

In the course of the day I saw him and a bunch of folks working on their plans for this project, similarly to the other groups.

In the evening news of the first day the convener of this very important project stood up and said, as I remember it:

"I came here with the most important project for our neighborhood. Our group worked out a wonderful plan. And I now know that we dont need any of the promised money. And I know now and am very happy to tell you that I found something much more important than money. I found a bunch of dedicated folks that will get this project running. What a gift."

So, this is what can happen and has in all os events I had the privilege to facilitate. All OST events that have the prerequisites for the unfolding of selforganisation in place will make stuff appear that nobody would have believed when entering the room.

Regarding the fictional relative asking "for a real story to inspire them", I would tell this relative that I do have awesome stories but a few questions for him before the story part.

And that would, I have experienced, be the more exciting part of our conversation.

Greetings from Berlin where we will have our traditional open space Stammtisch tomorrow evening (Monday, November 1 beginning at 7pm) that has been convening for more than a decade here
https://www.kreuzberger-weltlaterne.com/?lang=de

I will be there a little earlier to study the Menu and start the evening with mocca and ouzo... everyone who has been "vaccinated or recovered" and the documents for proof can enter the restaurant

ciao
mmp

--
Michael M Pannwitz