On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 02:47:06PM -0400, john whelan wrote:
> So if you have a wifi router you can pull the data file in over wifi and
> save your data budget.  You may have to configure the phone to turn off the
> over air connection. If you don't try an internet cafe but you may need a
> browser to get past the agreement front page.

I found that some free-WIFI APs block the download of OsmAnd maps.
Perhaps a generic filter to block content they don't know and can't
filter.

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 03:56:39PM -0400, john whelan wrote:
> Why cheaper?  If you are down loading on WiFi the cost is the same on the
> phone or the PC.

sometimes it may be cheaper (for both the server and user) if he
can use wget or similar with the ability to retry if something
goes wrong.

The download links may be semi-secret and worth to protect from
overeager download managers, on the other hand given that the maps
are so large that any reasonable selection won't fit into the
memory of most devices there should be some mirrors allowing direct
download.

Richard