I do understand your issue, but it is a difficult decision which city to
take and what to include, and why not Montreal in that case?

You can still make your own maps.
A couple of years ago I wrote an article about creating your own maps
especially for these kind of pruposes:
http://osmand.net/help-online?id=technical-articles#Create_offline_maps_for_yourself
.
It was written for linux but it can be easily adapted for windows.

Harry