You can try the backup route - no need for fiddling with the map. menu ->
Download maps/local - select the one you want to update, the three points
for menu and select backup (sorry, working from Czech version here, look
carefully if the menus are slightly different). This should move the map
from the main directory to the backup directory for you, it does nothing
else. It should help.

Alternatively:

To find the map: -> settings/common settings/data directory shows the
directory where all the data are saved.
Find this directory in file explorer on phone (it will be probably
Android/data/net.osmand.<net or plus>/files/), the map has the obf file
extension.

The underlaying problem:

Do you have perhaps the map installed on sdcard (external sdcard, not the
internal one)? It seems that osmand has not sufficient rights for the
directory, it cannot delete the old map.In the new Android versions, it
should be possible to give Osmand the rights - sorry, I cannot help you
there, my "best" version is Android 5, try to look it up for yourself. Or,
alternatively, find the "old" data directory, move it somewhere else or you
would need to re-download all the maps (the worldmap etc.), backup the
osmand file and uninstall it completely. Reboot the phone, install osmand
again, let it create the directory for you, and move the data back to the
newly created file structure. Perhaps reboot again, just to be sure
everything works.