You have 4 map symbols: viewing mode, navigate by car, navigate by bike,
navigate as pedestrian.
All have their own set of settings.
you probably changed the view mode day/night setting.
however, when you start to navigate it switches to one of the navigate
modes, car in this case presumably.
So tap the car symbol in the map and set your day/night mode, or do it via
settings-.navigation, and select car.

Harry