You shouldn't touch anything else than YOUR custom file. There needs to be
default.render.xml - this is the main file used for rendering - do not
touch it at all, nor any other file created by installation. Your
ADDITIONAL file simply overwrites part of it. This is the only way it can
work for you. Let the editing of the installed files to people who know
what they are doing.

Can you switch rendering style inside OsmAnd now at all? I would reinstall
OsmAnd, grab one of the two files, copy it and forget the rest.

For the future - either do not touch anything or make really, really
sure that you understand the instructions. When not clear, please do ask.
Your step one was a big mistake, the rest was fine but steps 4-6 shouldn't
be necessary at all.