>> A better way around that would be some way to tell Osmand what kind of
thing we're looking for (street, city, store, lake, river, ...)

Yes, this is exactly what I intended!
No need to show up streets, squares and PDI when user is looking for a
city/town.

BTW, if you do a POI search, it is already possible to choose the desired
categories (i.e. Food, Accommodation, Parking, Sport, etc.): cities, towns,
hamlets and streets/squares should be considered as "categories" as well...

Max

--
I Piccoli Pirati dell'Aria