Thanks for the reply Bart.
I wonder if the rapid motion of the plane causes a change in
zoom/magnification as during the flight I had the mag. level at 100% and
did not change it but the re-center invariably brought up a screen with a
highly zoomed/magnified map - not the level I was previously using. When I
test the process at home with a static position it functions as you
describe, returning to the same level as before.