2GB working memory or better for longer car navigation. 1GB for cycling and
hiking.

Screen resolution is also important. OsmAnds rendering is not the fastest
but Osmands maps are (by far) the most detailed ones. That takes time to
render.
1024x600= 0.6 million pixels (my android car head unit), 1280*720 = 0.9
million pixels, 1920*1080=2.1 million pixels, 2960x1440= 4.3 million
pixels.
If you have a high-resolution phone/device, you certainly need a fast
processor. Most of the time that goes hand in hand, but not always.
My car head unit having 1024x600 pixels does have a relatively fast
octa-core processor. OsmAnd screen rendering is very nice.
My phone has 1920x1080 pixels with only a slightly faster octa-core CPU. It
has to handle almost 4x times as much pixels!! I do see artifacts in
rendering in car navigation.
Most users don't realize this.
This is of course for car navigation. With hiking/cycling the screen
refresh rate doesn't have to be that high and almost everything works.

For calculating routes OsmAnd uses a default heuristic coefficent of 1.0. I
always use 1.4 and can easily calculate routes up to 1500 km and relatively
fast.
Using a higher heuristic coefficient is "theoretically" reducing optimal
route calculation, but Osmand is really the only one around using 1.0.
Almost all apps using the A*-algorithm use values between 1.3 and 1.6.
As said, I use 1.4: my calculations are on longer routes up to 4x faster
calculating the 100% exact same route, memory consumption is hundreds of
megabytes lower.
So fiddling with the heuristic coefficient also gives you a "faster, more
memory efficient phone" for the same money.
For bike navigation Osmand is using 1.4 by default and for pedestrian
navigation it uses 1.2 by default. I didn't change that.

Harry