FWIW.  Last year we cycled every day for 14 days touring in Netherlands.
We used an Android phone with OsmAnd+ all the way.
Each night it was re-charged on mains at B&Bs.  You can also top up at
cafes etc en-route if necessary.
On longer days, and if the phone was used for other purposes during the day
(email, web browsing, phone calls, etc.) we were able to keep it running
with a power pack which is combined with a solar panel.  This unit is about
the same size as the phone.  I hang it on the cross-bar or handlebars,
facing the (usually by then) setting sun.
Power is saved by switching the screen off most of the time, ie using the
vocal turn-by-turn instructions.
Last summer "Screen auto-on-off" was available on Osmand.  It is currently
not available but we understand it will soon be available again.  It is
(was/will-be) a system which turns the screen on for just a few seconds
each time there is a turn to do, then off again - An excellent benefit in
terms of power-saving!

Note, you can select (in settings) Flat/Less hilly/Hilly, and various
categories of things to avoid (eg unpaved/stairs/etc), and other things in
"Driving style".
As a further extension, you can combine OsmAnd with Brouter which has
several profiles from which to choose, though I often just stick to
Osmand's own routing.

As for Free version Vs OsmAnd+ (paid).  What does it cost?  A couple of
beers?  Good value for money, a VERY small proportion of your holiday cost,
and it supports the valuable work done for us users.

Good luck
Paul W