If you have difficulties with changing anything (renaming or replacing a
file) somewhere on the external SD-card that hasn't anything to do with
OSMAnd.
You might try a different file manager like FX or Total Commander on your
Android device. I have never had any problems that OSMAnd uses this new
version of favourites.xml nearly immediately after restarting OSMAnd. You
might try to clear the cache if OSMAnd before starting it.
Helmut
P.S. I wish OSMAnd would allow several files of favourites, e.g. in a
dedicated subfolder though.