Thanks for your “Syncthing” explanation, A Thompson (particularly the point
about the .stignore file!). If I can get this to work, it will be an ideal
solution for my wife and I to be able to share POI’s with each other. Alas,
it’s not working for me.

Since I don’t have enough storage capacity on Internal Memory, I have no choice
but to store all of OSMAnd’s data on my devices’ external SD cards.
Unfortunately, Syncthing only has readonly access to this location. As a
result, changes can’t be synchronised.

With the above in mind, can somebody perhaps suggest a viable workaround?

In an ideal world, we’d be able to stipulate where the favourites file can be
saved to and accessed from. In my case, that would be anywhere on my devices
where I have readwrite capability.