On Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 6:36:34 PM UTC, Akkana Peck wrote:

> Here's another approach using QGIS, if you can't use the Windows
> program mapc2mapc that Bart talks about:
> http://shallowsky.com/blog/mapping/osmand-making-overlay-maps.html

Thanks, Akkana, for your excellent guide which is much better than the
notes I posted previously. Having forgotten how to do it, I recently wanted
to overlay a historical map in OsmAnd and followed your guide. Here are a
few observations (QGIS 3.10, Windows 7):

1. I didn't have any "API Key required" problem with the QuickMapServices
plugin

2. The change from QGIS 2.x to 3.x was major, and I think it broke the
qtiles plugin in Linux though it still worked for me in Windows. But from
QGIS 3.8 the tiles functionality is built-in:

Processing>Toolbox>Raster tools>

3. You can select .mbtiles and continue as you described, but I chose
"Generate XYZ tiles (Directory) " The default settings work, but it's worth
considering if you want .png or .jpg. JPG can be much smaller files without
discernible deterioration, PNG can have transparent regions. OsmAnd can
handle either.

4. As with the old qtiles plugin, the only remaining obstacle is that
OsmAnd expects tile filenames of the form xxx.png.tile or xxx.jpg.tile
rather than xxx.png or xxx.jpg as generated by QGIS. So you need to
batch-rename every file in the directory hierarchy as I mentioned in an old
post https://groups.google.com/d/msg/osmand/bG1SGGNYxYI/GHvZk7wUCQAJ

Then you can just drop the directory hierarchy into OsmAnd's tiles folder.

Apart from the awkward recursive batch renaming of filenames, this way is
nice because it only uses QGIS.

I offer these notes by way of thanks!