Hi Peter,

This all sounds very interesting and will no doubt have many uses that I
can't anticipate.

I can't give you much assistance but will try to answer any specific
questions you have.  My wife is going to give birth sometime within the next
month which means my priorities are about to change drastically ;-)

You seem to have thought about most of the complexities of the problem
already so you know what you're dealing with.

You mentioned the problem of obtaining test data.  I'd suggest using:
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/history/

That is a full history from day one of the project up until now.  It is
already in the OSM change format that Osmosis understands.  Cutting bounding
boxes out of full history data is a difficult (but not impossible) problem
that you may have to solve in order to move forward.  In order to build way
linestrings for all way versions and for all node versions impacting the way
you will have to solve a similar problem to understanding how to cut bbox
data so you may be able to kill a couple of birds with one stone.

One thing to note is that I'm currently changing the simple schema a bit to
improve performance.  I've moved the tags into hstore columns, and have
duplicated the way_node table info into a nodes array column on the way
table.  This improves bounding box style query performance by several times
on large datasets.  I don't think it will impact you too much.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Brett