Hey everyone,

I started a full planet import on the 29th, 11 days ago.  I'm trying to get an
idea how long this will take.  I just want to know if this will take about 20
days or more like 40 days.

Here's my setup:

2 dual core Opterons, cpu is not the bottleneck

8 GM ram, htop reports this RES memory usage
        postgres 1082M UPDATE
        java osmosis 91928 (15 processes/threads?)

Areca RAID 5  1T  with 3 disks
        /var is 552 GB, 444 GB used (87%) 80GB available
                This usage has gone up and down from 84% to 91% a few times per
day.
        The import added about 300GB.

Debian 6.0

PostgreSQL 8.4 is probably not tuned well for this hardware, and it's not tuned
well for large imports.
        work_mem        1MB
        maintenance_work_mem    16MB
        checkpoint_segments     3
        fsync   on (i have a BBU and may set this to off in the future)
        shared_buffers  24MB
        The xlog is on the RAID 5 array too.

I've modified osmosis to connect to port 5433.  Did i miss something?  Can i
specify that on the command line?

I ran:  $ bzcat planet-110316.osm.bz2 | src/osmosis-0.34+ds1/bin/osmosis
--read-xml file=- --write-pgsql host="localhost" user="osm" password="Shut up,
Ted."

Here's the log so far.

Mar 29, 2011 11:11:43 PM org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis run
INFO: Osmosis Version 0.34
(org.java.plugin.ObjectFactory).
Mar 29, 2011 11:11:44 PM org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis run
INFO: Preparing pipeline.
Mar 29, 2011 11:11:44 PM org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis run
INFO: Launching pipeline execution.
Mar 29, 2011 11:11:44 PM org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis run
INFO: Pipeline executing, waiting for completion.

Sadly i did not configure logging correctly.

According to pg_stat is currently running this statement, so it looks like it's
mostly done.

UPDATE ways SET bbox = (SELECT Envelope(Collect(geom)) FROM nodes JOIN
way_nodes ON way_nodes.node_id = nodes.id WHERE way_nodes.way_id = ways.id)

Looks like a correlated subquery to me.  Probably performing a nested loop.

I've read in the mailing list that adding the bbox and linestring columns will
make the import "much" longer.  So does that mean 10 days or 100 days?

I checked \d ways and i see "idx_ways_bbox" gist (bbox) and
"idx_ways_linestring" gist (linestring).  So either those indexes were created
after "UPDATE ways set bbox..." or i see the database before the transaction
started.

I don't know if this is in a transaction or not.  I can't find the BEGIN in the
code.  I do see setAutoCommit() and this appears to be called with false.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Brian

--