If the file is valid then perhaps it's a bug in the Xerces parser bundled
with Osmosis.  The JDK version you use shouldn't matter because I don't use
its XML parser (Java bundles an ancient version of Xerces with more serious
unicode bugs).

I don't have any suggestions other than to check if there's a later version
of Xerces available.  To change it, modify the following file:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/osmosis/blob/master/gradle.properties

Change this line:
dependencyVersionXerces=2.9.1

I see I added the following comments above that line which explains why I
haven't upgraded it yet.

# Remaining on 2.9.1 instead of 2.10.0 for now because the newer version
# depends on org.w3c.dom.ElementTraversal which is not being transitively
# included. This could be possibly be fixed by including a newer version
# of xml-apis but this hasn't been verified.

Perhaps it's currently using the JDK version of xml-apis, but we may need
to explicitly include a later version of that as well.  Ugh.  As an aside,
I think Java 9 is supposed to be fixing some of this bundled dependency
mess and allowing a newer XML library to be included.

I'd offer to help but I just don't have time.  Osmosis isn't getting much
love from me any more :-(