Hi Shraddha,

From: Shraddha Hegde <shrad...@juniper.net<mailto:shrad...@juniper.net>>
Date: Friday, January 12, 2018 at 3:07 AM
To: Acee Lindem <a...@cisco.com<mailto:a...@cisco.com>>
Cc: OSPF WG List <ospf@ietf.org<mailto:ospf@ietf.org>>
Subject: RE: OSPF Link Overload (aka, Graceful Link Shutdown) MAX-TE-METRIC

Acee,

Pls see inline..

From: Acee Lindem (acee) [mailto:a...@cisco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:51 AM
To: Shraddha Hegde <shrad...@juniper.net<mailto:shrad...@juniper.net>>
Cc: OSPF WG List <ospf@ietf.org<mailto:ospf@ietf.org>>

Hi Shraddha,

We noticed that RFC 5817 sets the TE Metric to 0xffffffff for graceful TE
shutdown and the OSPF Link Overload draft uses MAX-TE-METRIC (0xfffffffe). Two
Questions:

1.       MAX-TE-METRIC is being defined in the OSPF Link Overload draft –
correct? It is not a reference from some other RFC or draft?

<Shraddha>Yes. This value is introduced in this draft.

Given all work on TE, I was inclined to search for this constant in other
documents. I think it would be useful to precede the definition with “This
document defines MAX-TE-METRIC as 0xffffffe.” to avoid any confusion.

The reason was that some implementation treat te-metric 0xffffffff as invalid
value and do not setup paths through them. Using 0xffffffff-1 seemed like a
safe option

I was not aware some TE implementations did this. We definitely want it to be
used as the least preferred path in this state.

I know that pre-RFC 2383 (not going to look up where it was actually changed)
defined 0xffffff as unreachable and this was later deprecated.

2.       Why not just use 0xffffffff like RFC 5817?

<Shraddha>We can if we have the Working Group Consensus.

I don’t feel strongly but would err on the conservative side if there are
implementations that treat 0xffffffff as unusable.

Thanks,
Acee

Thanks,
Acee