Matthias,

  For small networks (city-sized), many algorithms can be used and have
performance good enough for interactive queries.  OSRM aims to offer fast
queries for *global* road networks, but the price is that a lot of
pre-processing has to be done. If you're just looking at smaller regions (like
city-sized networks), you can often fully re-process with OSRM in just a few
minutes in most cases.  Scaling fast updates and fast queries to a global-scale
road network is an active area of research.

  There is a very good overview paper (from April 2015) of general routing
problems and known solutions here, and it's not too heavy on the math:

    http://arxiv.org/abs/1504.05140 <http://arxiv.org/abs/1504.05140>

  I would recommend spending some time reading it, it will really help you
understand the state-of-the-art and the trade-offs in time/space.  There is
also quite a lot of reading material in German here:
http://i11www.iti.uni-karlsruhe.de/teaching/sommer2015/routenplanung/index
<http://i11www.iti.uni-karlsruhe.de/teaching/sommer2015/routenplanung/index>

daniel