There is already a way to integrate arbitrary raster data (e.g. SRTM
elevation data). Take a look at:

https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/wiki/Integrating-third-party-raster-data

The Lua way_function gets a "way" as argument; this is a osmium::Way
registered with the Lua environment here:

https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/a6aa0a4cb0d104569a84fb018a15af32671c6361/src/extractor/scripting_environment.cpp#L106-L109

and here's the osmium::Way documentation:

http://docs.osmcode.org/libosmium/latest/classosmium_1_1Way.html

You could register its .nodes() function and the osmium::WayNodeList type
it returns for iterating over all osmium::NodeRefs in a osmium::WayNodeList:

http://docs.osmcode.org/libosmium/latest/classosmium_1_1NodeRef.html

You then have access to locations in the Lua environment.

Cheers,
Daniel J H