I just added a note on how to update your compiler:
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/wiki/Building-on-Ubuntu#ubuntu-1404

And here's how I could just reproduce a osrm v5.4.3 build in a clean Ubuntu
14.04 Docker container:

docker run -it ubuntu:14.04 /bin/bash
apt-get update
apt-get install software-properties-common
add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
apt-get update
apt-get install g++-6 gcc-6 build-essential git wget cmake pkg-config
libbz2-dev libstxxl-dev libstxxl1 libxml2-dev libzip-dev libboost-all-dev
lua5.2 liblua5.2-dev libluabind-dev libtbb-dev
export CPP=cpp-6 CC=gcc-6 CXX=g++-6
wget https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/archive/v5.4.3.tar.gz
tar xf v5.4.3.tar.gz
cd osrm-backend-5.4.3/