Hi François,

Well, it *could* be done.  It would all boil down to providing an
alternative for `ParseOSMData` here:

That function is responsible for parsing the OSM file, and
copying/converting the OSM fields into a memory structure called

  If you could populate ExtractionContainers from somewhere else, you'd be
good to go.

  Happy to give advice on how to do this, but:

    0) You'll have to implement it - the core team have other priorities.
    1) I suspect you wouldn't see a huge performance improvement - I
suspect the overhead of querying postgis would dominate the extractor time.
    2) You'll be on the hook for maintaining this code - the core team
haven't built this into the core tool because we don't need it, and it's a
big ask for us to maintain something we don't use.

  I'd strongly consider trying to optimize your Postgres->OSM extraction
process.  Consider using `osmium` libraries to write out the data in PBF
form directly instead of XML - it's significantly smaller, which makes it
faster to move around and write to disk, and OSRM will import it more

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 3:10 AM, François Lacombe <fl.infosrese...@gmail.com>