I would verify that OSRM considers the highway routable at all - if OSRM
has excluded it for some reason (e.g. HOV-only, under construction, etc),
then it'll be forced to find the next best thing.

Also remember - OSRM is just guessing on the travel speeds based on the
tags present on ways in OSM - these guesses may not always be accurate.
OTP is making the same guesses, but has different opinions on how to
interpret the OSM tags.  Google generates a travel speed model from other
sources which is more realistic than OSM+OSRM out of the box.

Try moving the start/end coordinates around and see if you can confirm that
the desired highway is even routable with OSRM.  The osrm-frontend project (
https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-frontend/) is handy for doing this.
You can also visualize OSRM's view of the routing graph using the debug
viewer: https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-frontend/tree/gh-pages/debug
(modify index.html to point to your own OSRM server) - if the highways have
no coloring, then they're not routable.

daniel