On Tue, 26 May 2015, fi...@vivaldi.net wrote:

I just looked in the root of my OSSEC installation on Ubuntu and noticed dozens of files with names like ossec-hosts.CMvJNMB8af.

What could those be and what's the effect, if any, of deleting them?

Those are temporary files created by the host-deny.sh script when it flushes an address from /etc/hosts.deny. The temporary file is removed upon normal completion of the script. When you stop (or restart) ossec do you notice your system load skyrocketing for minutes at a time long after the stop? Do you have many addresses listed in /etc/hosts.deny?

Antonio Querubin
e-mail:  t...@lavanauts.org
xmpp:  antonioqueru...@gmail.com