I know this topic has been discussed many times, but I'm not sure why it
isn't implemented.

<smtp_username>send_from_email_username</smtp_username>
<smtp_password>email_password</smtp_password>

Granted, there are going to be issues sending to smtp servers that require
SSL/TLS, etc.., but that's far less of an issue (i.e., finding one that
doesn't require SSL/TLS) that finding one that doesn't require
authentication.

I understand the security aspect, but the database credentials are already
stored there in plain text.

$.02