Hi,

We recently migrated one of our OSSEC instance to a new server. We are
using Linux(CentOS) as the platform. Post migration, we noticed that none
of the agents were connected to the server and agents had the following
error in the logs:

2016/09/15 09:05:56 ossec-agentd: INFO: Trying to connect to server
(X.X.X.X:1514).
2016/09/15 09:05:56 ossec-agentd: INFO: Using IPv4 for: X.X.X.X .
2016/09/15 09:05:57 ossec-agentd(1214): WARN: Problem receiving message
from X.X.X.X.
2016/09/15 09:06:06 ossec-agentd(1214): WARN: Problem receiving message
from X.X.X.X

We were able to fix this by removing the files under /var/ossec/queue/rids
( on the agent ), corresponding agent file on server then doing the
restarts. Agent immediately connected after this, but I wanted to know
which steps could have caused this to happen? There are 2 agents which did
connect by themselves without needing the fix, but it took few hours.
Others are still in the error state and most likely will require the manual
correction.

Entire directory structure was copied as it is from the old server,
followed by OSSEC install over those files by choosing upgrade option. The
content and permissions on these RIDS files were not changed during the
copy and IP address for the server is the same.

It would be good to know what goes on between agent-server as far as these
counters are concerned and if there is a way to avoid this manual fix?

Many Thanks,

~ Abhi