Hi,

I'm new to OSSEC and also OSSIM and I've just set up a very simple topology.

I've got OSSIM on one machine and a single FreeBSD based machine running
OSSEC and Snort. I've added the agent in the Agents tab and I can see it
connects fine.

I see OSSIM and OSSEC working together to schedule and run rootkit checks
and syschecks, but I also know that OSSEC can parse the system logs and
Snort logs looking for security issues. Currently, the OSSEC configuration
is not set up to look at logs and other than manually editing the
agent.conf I can't see any way to enable this functionality from OSSIM (I'm
using the agent.conf deployment feature).

My question is:

Should the OSSEC agent be parsing the system logs and Snort logs and then
send relevant data to the OSSIM server or should I set it up to send my
logs directly to the OSSIM server using Syslog, bypassing the OSSEC agent
all together?

In each case what are the advantages and disadvantages?

In my setup it would be the most simple for the OSSEC agent to handle
rootkit checking and syschecking only, with the system logs and Snort logs
being sent directly to the  OSSIM server using Syslog.

Thanks in advance.

--

---