Thanks Alberto, I did try using eventchannel, multi-line (with location of
microsoft-windows-sysmon/operational, and the path to the evtx file), and
eventlog, but I still get multiple line output in alerts.log (or "ERROR:
Unable to open file", depending on the configuration).

>From the reading I have done, it appears as if many people (including you,
in your Wazuh blog post on this topic) have successfully monitored sysmon
logs with just an eventchannel log format, so I still feel as I'm doing
something wrong.  My ossec server version is 2.8.3, and the agent shows
version 2.8.  My next step is to install version 2.9.1 on a different box
just to see if that makes the difference, but, of course, any advice
someone has to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin